Shooting Iscorama anamorphic on the Sony A7S in 4K on the Atomos Shogun

goatnyc

Hi Everyone. I was hoping to find any advice (and share my tiny bit of experience with this set-up) on shooting with the Iscorama on the Sony A7S while recording in 4K on the Atomos Shogun. Fisrt off, does anyone have any experience with this?

My wee bit of experience with this set-up came after the latest Atomos firmware update (6.4 which allows for anamorphic de-squeeze) was released, I shot a super quick test to see how this would actually look and to really just see if it would actually work at all. I used a Helios 44m-2 58mm f2 as the taking lens, had the A7S in standard non-APS-C mode and just rolled a bit in my living room (so not really a test per say.) Well after dumping the clip into FCPX and performing the de-squeeze, it all looked pretty great. No vignetting with the Helios and the image was solid top to bottom and side to side. The only anomaly that I noticed while shooting the clip was with the Atomos screen as I panned the camera. The top third of the screen seems to lag and stretch during the pan which in my guess an issue with the Shogun scanning (I checked the footage in FCPX and there is no such anomaly.) Maybe this can be fixed with the next firmware update.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to the discussion!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs