1st Short Doc made with A7s

Gregormannschaft

Hey folks. A couple of months back I made my first ever proper short doc with a small team of 4 in Berlin. We had two days to find someone in Berlin with an interesting story to tell and capture the footage. We ended up finding a young German man who runs a Hindu centre on the outskirts of Berlin. We interviewed him and below is the final result. 99% of the shots used are from the Sony A7s shooting in Cine 4 and graded using a combo of FilmConvert and Impulz Ultimate Luts. 

This is pretty much the first short I've made. I was on camera and edited the final version together. Any feedback you guys have would be super helpful.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks great. Really pleasing, filmic, and interesting visuals. Congrats! Is this meant to be a profile on this person or the temple? Felt more like the former. Also, would have helped to use sounds/music of the temple, I didnt quite feel the ambience. Not too sure about the music either.

Thanks for the great feedback. ​It was meant to be a profile on the person, I didn't really want to veer too far into the cultural aspects of hinduism and focus more on his story.  I see your point with the music track, I didn't have it in there for the first draft and the piece felt a bit like a lot of loose ends tied together. I did wonder whether seeing people play instruments and not hearing them might be a bit odd though..

Thanks for the great feedback. ​It was meant to be a profile on the person, I didn't really want to veer too far into the cultural aspects of hinduism and focus more on his story.  I see your point with the music track, I didn't have it in there for the first draft and the piece felt a bit like a lot of loose ends tied together. I did wonder whether seeing people play instruments and not hearing them might be a bit odd though..

​I would lose a lot of the random shots and focus solely on him and the temple. I also agree that having some sound effects combined with the music playing would be more interesting. Another thing I didn't like was all day time scenes, would have been great to have some "personal" low lit mood scenes, taking advantage of the amazing Sony a7s.

Overall I think it's pretty good, but could definitely be edited down + add some ambient sounds and natural ones to immerse the viewer more.

Looks good.

I would probably have him turned a little more to the left and also move the camera a bit left to have the window offset, and his head against the blue columns. Also, the light would probably be slightly better on him. The changing sun is messing a bit with the brightness of these interview shots, they go continuously darker. Not a big deal, but you may want to match them.

​I would lose a lot of the random shots and focus solely on him and the temple. I also agree that having some sound effects combined with the music playing would be more interesting. Another thing I didn't like was all day time scenes, would have been great to have some "personal" low lit mood scenes, taking advantage of the amazing Sony a7s.

Overall I think it's pretty good, but could definitely be edited down + add some ambient sounds and natural ones to immerse the viewer more.

​A lot of what you said rings true. We were very limited with time unfortunately, I'd have loved to have spent more time in the temple and got a better feel of place. Next shoot I'll definitely bear this in mind as it's a comment a few people have mentioned. Will play around with introducing background noise back into the piece and see how it flows. Thanks for your feedback.

Looks good.

I would probably have him turned a little more to the left and also move the camera a bit left to have the window offset, and his head against the blue columns. Also, the light would probably be slightly better on him. The changing sun is messing a bit with the brightness of these interview shots, they go continuously darker. Not a big deal, but you may want to match them.

Cheers, the light was a nightmare! I'm pretty stoked the colours are relatively ​consistent because the WB dipped from neutral to blue to orange in every clip. The first shot is really contrasty, the rest not so much. Getting that to be consistent is beyond my skills unfortunately. Next time I'd change the interview spot I think.