What are the technical differences between a wide-angle 'converter' and a wide-angle 'adapter?

octoplex

I'm struggling to understand the definition of the terms 'adapter' and 'converter' when applied to wide-angle lenses. Can the community here offer a perspective?

In some places online, the words appear to be used inter-changeably. Does anyone know the difference between the two? As a random example, this lens self-describes as a wide-angle "adapter":

adaptor.jpg.da41f6d2b516f9fd7d97a9a41a8bef42.jpg

While this one, for example, self-describes as a wide-angle "converter":

convertor.jpg.00b57959b74a0448cbffb4394e98ea51.jpg

Ignoring the finer-specifics of these two lenses, how does a "converter", in general, differ from an "adapter" ?

Final question: If there is a difference between these two general-denominations: Is an 'adapter', or a 'converter', more suited to having its lenses 'harvested' and retro-fitted into a variable-diopter system?

Thanks!

• octoplex changed the title to What are the technical differences between a wide-angle 'converter' and a wide-angle 'adapter?
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Its just different naming conventions between different manufacturers - or, more specifically, a lack of naming conventions - but they amount to exactly the same thing functionality wise.

So, no doubt there are manufacturers out there who landed on a different part of the thesaurus and have named theirs Adjusters or Modifiers etc.

Prefixing whatever term they use with "Wide Angle" is also a bit of a misnomer anyway as it doesn't convert or adapt a lens into a wide angle lens (commonly defined as having a focal length of say 24-35mm) but just reduces the focal length by the 0.8/0.7/0.6x indicated on it.

So whilst a 50mm lens with a 0.7x can be considered to effectively have "become" a 35mm and therefore a "wide angle" lens in common terms, putting the same 0.7x on a 200mm lens will only make that "become" a 140mm, which is very much not a "wide angle" lens in common terms.

Basically, for "Wide Angle" read "Wider Angle".

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

they amount to exactly the same thing functionality wise.

Thank you; this is exactly what I needed to know. I suspected they might be the same thing, but it was very hard to get this confirmed elsewhere.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Prefixing whatever term they use with "Wide Angle" is also a bit of a misnomer anyway as it doesn't convert or adapt a lens into a wide angle lens... but just reduces the focal length... Basically, for "Wide Angle" read "Wider Angle".

Again, thank you immeasurably for this information. This explains, for me, why the lens components in one of these "wide angle" adapter/converters can be removed and re-purposed for use in a Front-Variable-Diopter.

Mystery solved. I appreciate your assistance!