Blackmagic Pocket Camera w/ Fotodiox EOS-MFT Adapter

Bruno

I've spent a few weeks trying to find out what was wrong with my lenses and why I couldn't get infinity focus. Since I wasn't using any MFT lenses, I started losing faith in the adapted ones, I even considered it might be a faulty or badly calibrated sensor, but it turns out it was all the adapter's fault, so if you're experiencing the same issues, or if you're thinking of getting one of these for your Pocket Camera, beware!

I found a similar one by Fotasy on eBay, it was even cheaper and it works great, I can now focus to infinity and beyond!

Just by comparing the two of them, one can tell the Fotodiox is thicker than the Fotasy one, so one of them is gotta be wrong. There's also a chance I have a faulty Fotodiox adapter (haven't tried it in a different MFT camera), but for now I'll stick to the Fotasy one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A lot of adapters aren't built to very high tolerances, and therefore can be slightly off in terms of length, which will totally throw out your FFD (or back focus) and make it impossible to focus to infinity.

If you do have adapted lenses that aren't focusing to infinity, try switching adapters before despairing too much. Often it's not even related to price - $10 adapters can be better, as good as, or worse than $100 adapters.

There are a few brands that are trustworthy when it comes to adapters, but the adapters they make all tend to be quite expensive.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

Do your lenses focus accurately to the distances marked on the barrel when using the Fotasy? If it's focusing far beyond infinity you may not get the close focus each lens should be capable of ...

Well, you usually get what you pay for.

Well, in this case I got more from the cheapest option!

Do your lenses focus accurately to the distances marked on the barrel when using the Fotasy? If it's focusing far beyond infinity you may not get the close focus each lens should be capable of ...

That's true, but it's not like there is one brand that will have the perfect adapter that will work with all lenses, so it's a bit hit and miss really. It's true I miss a bit of the near focus with the Fotasy adapter, but I also kept the Fotodiox adapter, which increases my lenses' near focus ability!

I can't think such an adapter by Novoflex, and the Metabones one costs 20x more, way more than I'm supposed to spend on a MFT accessory. All my lenses are full frame, with an APS-C exception and I'd like to keep it that way, the Pocket Camera is an exception in sensor format, but I'm not spending that much money on something that will only work with this camera. $300 would make me think twice though.

All my lenses are full frame,  but I'm not spending that much money on something that will only work with this camera. 

Why not?

BTW, Speed Boosters aside, Novoflex do make a regular mFT to EF adapter. It's not that much more expensive than the regular Metabones adapter.

Why not?

BTW, Speed Boosters aside, Novoflex do make a regular mFT to EF adapter. It's not that much more expensive than the regular Metabones adapter.

Because I can't justify it. I want to get the BMD 4K camera at some point, ideally they'd come out with one that does at least 50fps, then I'd be happy, the Pocket camera is great, but I don't want any MFT specific gear.

Couldn't find that adapter earlier on their website, but was in a hurry, will look it up later. (not that I need yet another adapter at this point)