lightweight/ best video tripod with levelling fluid head?

RoRo74

Howdy folks...

Hows things? Trust your well. 

This may have been covered before but I couldnt find any previous posts?

I am a novice video maker (for school & work projects) who regularly goes on 2 week wilderness expeditions. I am on the look out for the lightest (?) tripod setup that has good levelling (ball head?) fluid head set up for my DSLR to take out bush. Any recommendations?

I like the Miller DS5 solo.....but I know there should be lighter & cheaper out there?! eg. benro tripods?

http://www.millertripods.com/product_details.html?id=200

Would like the tripod to be a solid ~170cm, rubber spiked feet with screw clamps & no spreader. budget is up to $1000 but would like to spend less.....but happy to buy quality....

Cheers for any thoughts

Ro :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a miller vj carbon with a cartoni head.  I love the legs but hate the weight of the head.  I too am interested in finding something lighter - I think I was looking at a mefoto then putting a manfroto leveling base on it, and then an inexpensive fluid head like a fancier 717 (which performs better than the light manfrottos). 

To be sure, my miller has a 100mm ball and so the heads aren't going to be too light - I do have a 75mm adapter ring.  I wonder what the very lightest *good* 75mm (or 100mm) ball fluid head is.   The miller legs are very very good and I imagine my legs (which can support a huge amount of weight and are very versatile) are about the same weight as a lightweight setup - it's just the head that drags me down.

Yeah - its so confusing isnt it?

hhhmmmm.....i like your idea of the mefoto/ manfrotto level head/ fancier. how do the levelling bases really compare to built in ball levelling? Looks fidgetier? I am in some weird & wonderful spots in the outdoors & so a quick setup on uneven/ rough ground is important.

I see alot of people have gone for the manfrotto below (has levellling head & reasoanbly light ~ 3.3kg?)

Manfrotto Q5 Photo/Video Tripod Head with 755CX3 Tripod
Read more at http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/01/16/review-manfrotto-q5-photovideo-tripod-head-with-755cx3-tripod/#AgFOIWKebvVb6GVd.99

Heard mixed reports about the head though. maybe get the legs (they have great reviews - especially with self levelling head) & then a better head? Have Miller got legs like these?

Cheers

Ro :-)

Dunno about the head - it would be cool to have an ultralightweight leveling head though...nobody really makes one that I can find. 

The miller legs are waaaay better than that - they are well suited to war zones.  But they are a touch heavier, and look silly with a small head on them (I have a 100mm flat adapter bowl, you can get a 75mm one too).  I need to keep looking - obviously I'm still in love with the miller legs - there's nothing on the market that's quite as good in my opinion - go from 6 in to more than 6 ft, light, strong, and you can even take them apart to fit into a carry on.  But sometimes I don't even bother with the tripod just because I can't be bothered with the weight.  Which ain't good.

This is what I have been using. It works well but could be lighter.

Tripod:   Sirui N-1204 (surprisingly sturdy for it's weight)

http://www.adorama.com/SIBSRET1204.html?gclid=CjkKEQjw5qmdBRCn--70gPSo074BEiQAJCe7zVPK6zYbcr6ciWEpS2PRxsual3Hj-CRjMsWnofHp01Dw_wcB

Leveler:    Acratech (Dont't skimp on lesser models)

http://www.adorama.com/ACRLBQ20.html

Head:       Manfrotto 701HD

No longer available

Cheers

Kent