Leica M10 to get video, September unveiling

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/leica-m9-monocrom.jpg[/img]

In an interview with the British press in Berlin this week, Leica head of the supervisory board Dr Andreas Kaufmann revealed that they have been working on implementing video on their digital rangerfinder line or possibly new products.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8055/leica-m10-to-get-video-september-unveiling/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Leica means quality.  It'll be interesting to see how their video performs.  What if Leica surprises everyone and has a top notch video component with their camera.  They'll grab market share.  Lot's of competition coming to market.  Is Canon listenting?

leica do not mess around.
for them reputation is all.
2nd rate does not exist for them.
in the 70s and early 80s when they where using minolta a superb camera and lens company for the making of leica r zoom lens.the leica rejection rate was very high.
they set a standard if it does not meet that standard it is rejected.
leica could of been as big as zeiss if they had od loosened up a little on this rigid mindset.
supreme quality silly high price but as close to optical and camera perfection as you can get.
leica now have the technology to implement the digital leicina special.
a metal cine box with a leica logo.
damn they could even make it out of titanium.
no crap tastic plastic materials like the rather flimsy looking blackmagic thing.

i have an old 8 year old leica digilux 2,the sony sensor failed last year it was sent back to germany for a free replacement..
how many companies would do that.
Dr Andreas Kaufmann is a very sharp fellow we need a leica cine box wih a dalsa ccd

• Administrators
Leica are purists. They see a lot of the digital stuff as outside their core market and yes I agree their reputation is utterly critical. (Their rebadged Panasonic compacts are sold purely on the badge). The reason they're not embracing distortion correction in-camera like Panasonic & Olympus do is all about reputation and purist optical design. With the digital stuff not their core business I think they probably see cinema cameras the same way. One would be great for the lens sales though, and there are Leica cine lenses http://leicarumors.com/2011/08/05/leica-summilux-c-cinema-lenses-now-shipping.aspx/

So never say never.

Leica's screen resolution and late adoption of live view on the M series speaks volumes about how the core business of Leica is to make a film camera with a memory card instead of film, all the other frilly bits are not a priority. Will video be seen by management as a frilly bit or a serious tool?

This is seriously a dream come true. I have a Leica R set so I guess it's time to start building my M set... also the fact that this has a CCD sensor rather than CMOS is phenomenal because that means there's no rolling shutter at all. Put this puppy on a quadrocopter and you've got perfect video.

• 1 month later...
[quote author=FilmMan link=topic=717.msg5258#msg5258 date=1336834212]
Leica means quality.  It'll be interesting to see how their video performs.  What if Leica surprises everyone and has a top notch video component with their camera.  They'll grab market share.  Lot's of competition coming to market.  Is Canon listenting?
[/quote]

market share!  Do you have any idea how much a Leica rangefinder costs?  It's not a cheap entry into film making