Zacuto's 'Revenge of Great Camera Shootout,' to feature Hacked & UnHacked GH2

MaxAperture Films

Looking forward to this shootout!!  ;)

[url=http://www.marketwatch.com/story/zacuto-announces-release-of-revenge-of-great-camera-shootout-2012-04-10]http://www.marketwatch.com/story/zacuto-announces-release-of-revenge-of-great-camera-shootout-2012-04-10[/url]

The cameras involved are:

Sony F65 -- Sony Representatives 2. ARRI Alexa -- Rodney Charters, ASC 3. RED Epic -- Ryan Walters 4. Sony FS100 -- Den Lennie & Mick Jones 5. Sony F3 w/slog -- Nancy Schreiber, ASC 6. Canon C300 -- Polly Morgan 7. Canon 7D with Technicolor settings -- Michael Negrin, ASC 8. Panasonic GH2 (hacked and non-hacked) -- Jonny Zeller & Colt Seman

"'Revenge' is unlike any other camera test that I've ever been involved with," says Zacuto producer, Scott Lynch. "I believe that the tools available to us are all capable of creating great looking images, but only if you know how to use them. The big challenge for us was creating a test that would bring out the real world differences between these cameras. You can shoot charts which will give you scientific results, but that environment is not the real world. What we wanted to know was how cinematographers creatively solve the limitations of their camera. There are going to be some great discussions when this test gets released. People are going to be blown away."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote]As in the past, Zacuto will also have 35 theatrical screenings of the test footage

(...)

To enhance the web experience, each screening will be recorded so web viewers can hear the opinions given by those at the test in 2K. In contrast to previous Shootouts, viewers will watch the test [b]blind[/b], meaning that the footage from each camera will not be labeled. Viewers will be required to write down their favorite shot on paper before being informed what footage belongs to which camera. A discussion will ensue. The scenes will then be played again and Zacuto will reveal which camera is which. A second discussion will follow.[/quote]

No thing that has a prominent aesthetic component can ever be judged objectively. The best you can do is to take as many subjective reactions as possible and then draw conclusions. People will indeed be very surprised by some of the results, but perhaps those who expect [i]others[/i] to be surprised.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=567.msg3717#msg3717 date=1334160062]
Good to see the GH2 in there. I'd have put the 5D in there instead of the 7D though. If the test is about aesthetics, then a full frame sensor adds a lot.
[/quote]

I was surprised by that as well.  It appears they're keeping this shootout as close to Super 35 sensor size as possible to help pull off the blind taste test.  The fact they kept the GH2 in the test even with the larger crop may prove they thought it would contribute enough to the conversation to justify it's small sensor size difference.  It's great theater to stun an audience with a $600 cam that resolves like a pro.

By the way, love your site content and forum.  Great reasoning and perspective on uncovering value within the Indie film segment.  I purchased the GH2 Shooter's Guide a day after it was released and never looked back.  What a speed boost in terms of ramping up with the GH2, one of the best purchases I've made.