GH2 on Mac

Paulio

Hi,

I usually edit/grade my gh2 footage on a pc with adobe products and it works great. I'm shooting something for a friend who uses mac and final cut. Are there still issues with needing to re-encode or remux footage to use a mac with gh2 footage?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yes he using fcp7. Do i need to use both 5dtorgb and transcode?

I'm using intravenus II hack, but can switch if the workflow will be easier.

Is there a guide or something for this workflow? what a nightmare, its just drag and drop with pc cs6...

Hi Paulio,

The 5dtorgb is the transcode app.

https://vimeo.com/46213924

Is very simple, just need time. 

1. need to buy the app so you can transcode as a batch

2. drag and drop your h.264 footage to the app

3. My settings on the app are:

prores 422hq, BT.601, Full range, progressive, none, gamma correction 1.0

4. When you start batch the app ask you a folder to send the transcode footage.

5. Be patience :-)

Send me email to franciscoriosanderson@gmail.com if need more info...

best.

You can transcode in FCP7 too if you import directly from the card using Log & Transfer or copy the whole directory structure to the hard drive. Results might be a little better out of 5DtoRGB.

But yeah, Premiere is the way to go really.

yes he using fcp7. Do i need to use both 5dtorgb and transcode?

I'm using intravenus II hack, but can switch if the workflow will be easier.

Is there a guide or something for this workflow? what a nightmare, its just drag and drop with pc cs6...

Drag & drop does not organize your footage. This really feels like a nightmare to anyone used to LOGGING before editing, i.e, someone who knows FCP 7. I will tell you the perfect workflow in a minute.

You can transcode in FCP7 too if you import directly from the card using Log & Transfer or copy the whole directory structure to the hard drive. Results might be a little better out of 5DtoRGB.

But yeah, Premiere is the way to go really.

It turns out that 5D2RGB adds nothing to the GH2 material, which is 16-235 and correctly interpreted as such by FCP (and left as original AVCHD by Premiere, which works best with original clips). 5D2RGB prevents ingesting the clips with the superior Log&Transfer filter: You preview the AVCHD in the (cmd & 8) import window. You shouldn't scratch too much, because FCP 7 is just a 32-bit program. You select the portions of the clips with i & o that you need, you re-name the clip and add metadata. You hit import after every clip-selection, which triggers the transcoding to ProRes in the background. After logging is complete, you wait a few minutes, until the process bar disappears, then you, er, finish editing, which just leaves you the fun part, because you did the knowing and sorting part in advance. It's slower only if you have some freshly captured news reel stuff, otherwise it will still beat Premiere, I bet.

Let me introduce FCP X. It has the best of both worlds. No need for transcoding if you have a good machine (you prevent the default behavior to transcode in the background by unchecking 'optimized media'). You qualify your material after import (just one possible workflow, I recommend this one), by 'tagging'. You create multiple criteria, you can stick as many tags to one clip as you like (which you can see as a mini-timeline-thumbnail that starts playing a full screen preview by just hovering over it with the cursor). You don't need to double click folders or change a clip by double clicking on the next one. A lot of completely useless routines have also been thrown out. You have every clip at your fingertip.

I would like to say that FCP X has a good color corrector, but I can't. It's implemented very well, you can grade right in the timeline. Unfortunately, it has been simplified too much, you can change values in a range from 0-100 %, which is even not precise enough for 8-bit.

Fortunately, the best free grading suite in the world, DaVinci Resolve Lite, works perfectly with FCP X. Check Alexis van Hurkman's Ripple training, and you never look back to any alternatives.