Huge PPro Mess - Convert Mpeg2 & H.264 to ProRes - Best Conversion Software?

User

Hi folks,

I have a very large doc project that was born in CC2014. Recently I migrated the project to CC2019 (Mojave - 2013 Macbook Pro) but for some reason CC2019 will not keep the mpeg2 & h.264 files linked and from what I can understand is that this is somehow related to the PPro's Preferences and/ or Media Cache files. I have been fighting with this for the past two weeks! For example, yesterday I did a clean install of PPro and the project saw all the associated mpeg2 & h.264 files and linked them perfectly. Then because I had a notification window pop up (at the opening of the project) indicating that an old plugin was missing, I decided to instal the old plugin and then reset preferences & plugins (shift + option) and when the project opened again MANY of the mpeg2 & h.264 files were no longer linked and when trying to link them I got a File Import Error and these files could not be linked unless I changed their file extension and/ or folder structure. I called Adobe and they were totally useless. Looking online, there doesn't seem to be much info on this issue except that Adobe and Apple are dropping support for older codecs so as to more into a 64bit system but Above has said that there would be support for mpeg2 & h.264 files. In any case, the ProRes files associated with the project always load correctly so I've decided that I after such a huge and unsuccessful attempt to find the solution or work around to this issue, I've just ordered a 10TB drive and am now going to convert the mpeg2 & h.264 files to ProRes so that I can finally move forward again. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is or could be? And does anyone have any idea what the current best conversion software on the market is to transcode 4TB of these mpeg2 & h.264 files to ProRes?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just tried Compressor, almost indistinguishable using ProRes, ProRes Lt, and ProRes HQ.

Does anyone think it would be fine to go with ProRes Lt when converting these mpeg2 & h.264 files? The mpeg2 files are XDCAM 35Mb/s VBR 1920x1080 REC 709. The h.264 is from the 5DM2.

Anyone using Compressor know how to output files without Compressor adding description "Apple ProRes" as part of its file name? In other words, output file with the original name? Who the hell left this feature off this new version of Compressor? I mean really.

Anyone have a preference for Adobe Media Encoder over Compressor?

Sorry I can't be more helpful to your actual issue, but I will say in terms of batch renaming, I've been using 'A better finder rename' and it's pretty great.

In terms of compressor vs media encoder, I personally like Media Encoder better and use it more.

Again, sorry I can't more help for your real issue here, just wanted to chime in where I'm able to.

Hi Kevin, thank you for your input and sentiments here. Yes I had thought of batch renaming the files so thanks for confirming.

I've been doing a little reading online and it seems there are some variables on which program is better and/ or faster... mostly it has to do with what computer will do the crunching and the software settings.

I had used 5DtoRGB in the past but never really did a test comparison. Let's see.