Color grading boat and sea sequences

Nouh

Hi,

I am new in this forum. I did some color grading on a footage that involves sea / boat scenes. I would like to have your feedback about the grades and the look it has (before and after) in order to adjust them if needed before continuing with the final look. Comments about compositions or other aspects are welcomed.

To make easier the shots identification, the timeline has numbers that are shown in the start of each sequence. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and sharing your workflow to grade similar scenes (seas, blue sky...).

Gear and tools : already mentioned in the video (title/description).

Here's the preview :

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Welcome to the forum!

Nice work! Right now I don't have access to a calibrated monitor, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Also, since I don't really know what mood/story you are going for, take my comments with a big helping of salt! Overall, your grades are appealing and within realism. Nothing too stylized or extreme. Since I don't know what your goals with these grades are, I can't really say whether you've done well, so here are some thoughts on what I might do differently.

Sequence 1: Looks nice! Perhaps a tad yellow/orange--I'm looking at the white boat in the foreground. I feel like you could up the saturation a little as well. Compositionally, I can't really focus on any boats as they are lost in the jumbled rigging, but the mountain draws my eyes. If that's intended, I'd try especially putting more saturation in the mountain, and maybe even add more contrast.

Sequence 2: This one looks a little purplish. The concrete seems to have an unnatural tint. I think you could make the boat's red stand out just a little more as well.

Sequence 3: This is another one where I think it gets too yellow. I do like how you've made the sky pop out a little more, but that seems to also be pushing the boats away from white too much. Speaking of which, a little more contrast might make those bright white boats stand out more from the dark background of trees and mountains.

Sequence 4: Another one that's more purple than maybe natural, but I like it. Again I'd up the contrast. Composition wise, it might be nice to be a little tighter on the lighthouse and those islands, perhaps by cropping out the left side of the screen. That way you could really make that red roof stand out from the blue water and sky. Just a thought.

Sequence 5: A little too much teal for me. I'd also love if the sky was a little more saturated. Out of curiosity, what ISO was this?

Sequence 6 and 7 are pretty similar to 5.

Sequence 8: Not much to say here. It looks good, both before and after. Maybe brighten the boat in the foreground a little bit.

Overall looks good! Like I said, this is more a list of things I might do differently, rather than criticisms.