GH5S - anamorphic options - help needed

mirekti

I plan on buying Isco Micro Red single focus with SuperScope from Ebay and use it with GH5S. I might change my mind, but don’t see any other full solution at the moment and not sure I’d be able to set it all up by myself.

2.39:1 is what I am after. I have already bought 44-2 58mm and have Kipon speedbooster 0.7x which I plan on using with Summicron-R 50mm.

I am having trouble understanding what determines the widest I could go. Tried to use calculator on the Isco’s seller website, but it was very confusing. For example the site claims if one uses 50mm on FF, and add the setup I plan on buying, it would give us 16mm FoV, yet when I put these numbers in the calculator on that site it says such combination wouldn’t work. 

I would really love it if I could make 20-24mm with GH5S, but not sure this is possible with the planned set.

Also, I wondered how much of an impact front element of taking lens has in my setup. A week ago I tried SLR Magic 1.33x Compact 40 on a6500 and it worked with Sony’s 20mm f/2.8 pancake, only very, very small portion of corners was darken, whilst 24mm f1.8 was almost not usable yet 4mm wider. Do you think Leica M glass would work well given their small factor?

Have I made a mistake by choosing MFT format and trying to go wide anamorphic?

Even if I did, I really hated rolling shutter on a6500 and assume the same would happen with a7.

Any help and comments/critique is more than welcome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you for all the info. I wasn’t aware there was so much drama, but I understand it. Especally if all above is true.

11 hours ago, whoisjsd said:

I don't know of any 2X anamorphics that can work at 20-25mm FOV on a GH5/s. Best I can do is around 45-50mm with a pancake.

In this video Jacob claims 30ish FOV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hw8Qok2IAE

13 hours ago, whoisjsd said:

The only true wide anamorphic is cinema glass :)

I forgot to ask about this. I see SLR magic has Cine line of prime anamorphic lenses.

So if I shoot a video on GH5S with their Cine 35mm, would this eventually give me 35mm FF FoV or 70mm?

1 hour ago, whoisjsd said:

The issue I have is that for him to get that FOV he'd have to be using a 35mm taking lens on the speedbooster

Maybe he was mistaken when he said he was in 30ish range, because I reached out to him and he replied what his setup was: Metabones 0.71 M43-EF -> Leica R to EF adapter -> Leica R Summicron 50 -> Rapido V2 Clamp -> Kowa 16-H -> Rectilux Hardcore DNA

Cheers and thanks!!!