Help exposing Pro Color HDR (v4.0)

Phil Parkinson

I've just bought and started to use V4 of Pro Color with my A7R3. The colors straight out of the camera are amazing - the best I've ever gotten from a Sony camera (even with grading) - so THANK YOU Andrew Reid.

I am having however having problems exposing Pro Color HDR. I exposed them as per the instructions (I.e. balanced) and as you can see in my view below, the image is perfectly exposed. BUT... If you look at the bar below the video, it shows you how they are imported. All of the clips I shot with the Pro Color HDR profile are badly blown out and unusable. 

I'm sure I'm doing something very basic wrong, but I can't figure out what that is. 

Please advise. Thank you !

Phil

31078201_ScreenShot2018-08-12at18_52_03.thumb.png.a2912b9e1475536b56fbdc1d54609397.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Seems like loads of FCPX users are experiencing this issue and there isn't a solution to it. 

You click "Show HDR as Raw values" but the footage is still super washed out and unusable. It gets smashed at about 50IRE. When you apply the EOS Match Color Lut, it doesn't solve the issue...

Does anyone has any ideas of the fix?

• Administrators

This shouldn't be happening in FCPX, with Show HDR as Raw Values selected. I am going to look into what is going on. Maybe Apple have done an update, and there is now another setting which needs changing... Stay tuned!

In the meantime, a quick fix is that this will ONLY happen with the HDR V4. If you try the other V4 profiles, they doesn't use Hybrid LOG Gamma so it won't be an issue. And it is fine in other NLEs like Resolve.

You might try transcoding to ProRes as well. That will remove the HDR metadata... Or possibly try deleting or moving the XML files in the XAVC-S folder?

Hey Phil,

I think I kind of figured it out how to make the HDR profile footages look normal.
(I am just an amateur, so I am not confident if this is the fix for the problem.)

When you open your HDR footages you have to make a totally separate Library. And modify the setting of that Library to Wide Gamut HDR.

Once done. Make a new project with "Wide Gamut HDR Rec 2020 HLG" as your color space.

When you import your HDR footages, it will show as correct exposure. But regular footages look little under exposed...

Below video helped,

AND please let me know if there is a better solution or my work around is incorrect.

Thank you.