Editing 4K HDR on iMac

interceptor121

I was at the apple store today and I had a go at the top of the range iMac with radeon pro 580 8Gb VRAM

i opened final cut and the 4K demo in it with wose gamut and the performance was great not stuttering during rendering 

in terms of colours there was no difference using or not the option show HDR value as RAW 

i had a play with the color profile of the screen and when changing to bt2020 there was no significant shift

this machine with the 2TB fusion drive and additional RAM seems to be a good option for 4K HDR editing with final cut

anybody has done some proper stress testing??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I edit with a 2017 iMac 27” and your findings are inaccurate. 

There is an enormous difference when viewing HDR values as RAW on the machine because the screen is not HDR, not even close. Therefore, this machine is only good for grading HDR when accompanied by an HDR monitor.

Also, I’d pass on the Fusion drive - imho, SSD is so much better.

There was no difference on the demo files it may be possible that the source files were not HDR I did not check 

The colour looked ok though when shifting profiles on the screen compared with my 2011 mac where it turns purple on 2020

the screen is 540 nits peak brightness that is not bad in absolute terms but maybe the blacks are not black like an OLED it was not possible really to see anything as the shop is bright

The machine looked fine in terms of processing for 4K with the 8GB vram. Do you have that one?

Well the situation of displays is still not defined 

vesa has come up with displayhdr but that is mostly for HDR gaming and Tv have UHD premium the rest is not defined

looking at the requirements for color the standards only need 90% of DCI-P3 color which looks in reach for macs with retina display while for the brightness the screen appears in line with vesahdr 400 which is the bottom line of displayhdr requirements

obviously this is not a reference set up but potentially a good enough set up if you work with curves there is a range check feature that looks interesting to check luminance and colour 

Almost any display today can reach VESA’s minimum requirements for HDR, so it’s rather meaningless. It is not HDR. Plain and simple. It is not possible to grade HDR content on an iMac without an external monitor. So no, it is not a good enough set up.