Jump to content

GH7 + Lumix 25mm F1.7 + SLR Magic 1.33 40 with built in Rangefinder?


ShowsOn
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm considering a cheap anamorphic set up. Does anyone know if the following work together?

Panasonic GH7
Panasonic Lumix 25mm F1.7 Lens
SLR Magic 1.33 40 Anamorphot with built in Rangefinder

What else do I need? Step up rings so that I can attach the Anamorphot to the Panasonic lens?

What other lens options should I consider?

Panasonic Lumix 20mm pancake lens here:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/986097-REG/panasonic_h_h020ak_lumix_20mm_f1_7_ii_asph.html

Is this preferable to the 25mm because it is flater?

What if I bought a vintage Canon lens with manual aperture settings and a cheap converter? All I need to do is set the focus on the taking lens to infinity, and focus is done on the rangefinder right? So as long as I can manually adjust the aperture then that would work?

I sort of wish SLR Magic made a 1.5x Anamorphot 40 because I think 2.67:1 on a 16:9 sensor would look great :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the G7, and I have a 1.33 Anamorphic that the SLR Magic Anamorphot 40 Compact is based on. It should be similar. 20mm should work, especially with the G7's 4K crop. This is the COMPACT version I am talking about. The regular SLR Magic 40 is something like 25-35mm I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, whoisjsd said:

I have the G7, and I have a 1.33 Anamorphic that the SLR Magic Anamorphot 40 Compact is based on. It should be similar. 20mm should work, especially with the G7's 4K crop. This is the COMPACT version I am talking about. The regular SLR Magic 40 is something like 25-35mm I think.

Whoops. I did meant the G7. 

So does SLR Magic sell the Anamorphot 40 Compact with the Rangefinder? Or would i have to buy that separately? 

How does your set up work? Do you have to do double focusing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ShowsOn said:

Whoops. I did meant the G7. 

So does SLR Magic sell the Anamorphot 40 Compact with the Rangefinder? Or would i have to buy that separately? 

How does your set up work? Do you have to do double focusing?

It's mostly focus-though. I have to use diopters for anything close. The compact has a near/far setting. Unless you need single focus for the full range, it should work fine. I would not put a Rangefinder on it.

The regular 40 with built in rangefinder will do that, but I'm not sure what kind of lens you need to clear it. I also, personally, don't like the regular 40 or the rangefinder. The 40 compact is the only thing I have seen recently from SLR Magic that I have seen good results with overall. (compared to all their other 1.33 lenses anyway)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, whoisjsd said:

It's mostly focus-though. I have to use diopters for anything close. The compact has a near/far setting. Unless you need single focus for the full range, it should work fine. I would not put a Rangefinder on it.

The regular 40 with built in rangefinder will do that, but I'm not sure what kind of lens you need to clear it. I also, personally, don't like the regular 40 or the rangefinder. The 40 compact is the only thing I have seen recently from SLR Magic that I have seen good results with overall. (compared to all their other 1.33 lenses anyway)

Great thank you for sharing your experience. I have read about 7 pages of threads in this forum, but this is still a confusing topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...