Sony A6500 battery grip gripe!

tomsemiterrific

I note that Sony does not make a battery grip for the a6500. The a6300 has several grips made by third parties--some of those claim they also work with the a6500. But do they? The one I ordered does not. Or better said, Sony won't let it.

I ordered a grip branded Vivitar that worked--for a few minutes, but then the a6500 kept putting up a screen sign saying the battery grip was not an authorized product so something like that. I could block out the sign by a half shutter button tap and shoot, but the sign would then pop right back up again. Maddening!

Frankly, I really like shooting with the a6500, but a battery grip make everything better regarding stability and control.

Anyone have experience with a battery grip that actually works for the a6500?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Only found one review on YouTube and the bloke had to send it back for the same reason. It says on the box a6300 but a lot of third party manufacturers on Amazon and the like add a load of other allegedly compatible cameras to everything they sell. It is the same with battery chargers allegedly being compatible with a whole host of batteries when they are not, which I found out only this week when buying an Expro charger for Panasonic batteries listed in their compatibility list. 

These companies or sellers should be blacklisted if they do not change their false advertising.

A grip made for the a6000 should fit the a6300 as well because they share pretty much the same body. The a6500 would require it's own specific grip because the body is thicker, the grip is different and so is the battery door. So if they say their grip works on all three then they're lying. Of course they can be physically compatible but not electronically compatible so I would be wary of the really cheap ones.

5 hours ago, Davey said:

Only found one review on YouTube and the bloke had to send it back for the same reason. It says on the box a6300 but a lot of third party manufacturers on Amazon and the like add a load of other allegedly compatible cameras to everything they sell. It is the same with battery chargers allegedly being compatible with a whole host of batteries when they are not, which I found out only this week when buying an Expro charger for Panasonic batteries listed in their compatibility list. 

These companies or sellers should be blacklisted if they do not change their false advertising.

I take back the Expro comment - works fine if you put the batteries in the right way up.

Yours

Homer Simpson