16-H, Rangefinder, NX1, Ronin-M

Caleb Genheimer

I recently shot and edited this 2X anamorphic music video, rigged up on my DJI Ronin-M. The Kowa 16-H is already heavy, but add an SLR Magic Rangefinder in front, and along with a DSLR, the gimbal is at its length and weight limit.

The band footage was shot in 3 short hours after a last-minute location change, and we just managed to fully cover the song, having thrown out unnecessary parts of the storyboard. The color effects were shot non-anamorphic, on the NX1 with 16-50 OIS and the trusty GH2 with an 85mm f1.4 Zeiss C/Y prime (pretty sure it's still running either Moon T6 or 7.)

While there ultimately are a lot of cross-processing effects, the 2X anamorphic look still adds something unmistakable to my eyes. I made the decision early on to sacrifice 4K for an increase in frame rate to 60p for slow-motion flexibility in post, which did come in very handy. 

The Rangefinder wasn't used at all to pull focus during shots, but it made it much easier to refocus in between takes, and it seems to guarantee sharper results if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Edited in FCPX and effects in Motion

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, I could've rendered motion blur on the cross-processed effects and the non slow-mo shots, but I like that the crispness keeps everything from being too muddy in the effects shots. It is 30p down from 60p, so that the slow-mo remains "in time" with the music (just halved in speed.) This causes the non-slowmo to be crisper, but because of the shooting schedule constraints, I had to shoot everything 60p just so that slowmo was an option on all shots.