Practical Tips for FCP X users from BVE 2016

Axel

Found on fcp.co, I don't want to judge you by my own standards, but in this videos I found some workflow tips with shortcuts and methods I didn't know of or didn't deem useful:

Below I list some shortcuts used in an edit-to-music-project:

1. To start the project, just select the music clip and hit q. You get the audio connected to a slug ('gap clip') instantly.

2. To edit to the beat, you can chop the gap clip to placeholders for the actual clips hitting cmd+b while the audio is playing. Since I find it a little awkward to have to shortly press two keys at the same time, I will probably change the keyboard shortcut for this to a single key (like german ö perhaps) later.

3. To substitute the placeholder-slugs with the images, you can perform a simple three-point-edit

> by first selecting in and outs for the gap in the timeline with x.

> by selecting an in-point on the clip in the browser and hitting d to replace the slug from the start

> by selecting an out-point in the browser and hitting shift+d to replace the slug from the end.

Useful, isn't it? We were all told at some time that we should forget about overwrite (delete), because it was a counter-intuitive command in a magnetic timeline. Wrong.

Another video elaborates on footage organization, and though I do use this on a regular basis, I find it entertaining and inspiring to see how others use it:

https://vimeo.com/158641571

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs