FCPX color finale and x-rite camera matching.

sgreszcz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The principle is not new in Resolve, but in Color Finale. It's like an advanced post AWB, and it's helpful to match the colors of different cameras. In this, it's limited by the colors a camera records due to it's own color science (in the extreme, a Sony FS5 will capture only a few percents of the skin tones within a BM Log file). Needless to say that it's not for the run&gun shooters ...

The principle is not new in Resolve, but in Color Finale. It's like an advanced post AWB, and it's helpful to match the colors of different cameras. In this, it's limited by the colors a camera records due to it's own color science (in the extreme, a Sony FS5 will capture only a few percents of the skin tones within a BM Log file). Needless to say that it's not for the run&gun shooters ...

True about resolve already having the features, but I don't want to learn it and prefer to use FCPX for as much as possible.  The new x-rite passport is simpler than the previous macbeth chart which has many more colour patches.  http://www.provideocoalition.com/what-good-is-a-macbeth-colorchecker-chart

Anyway, I'm just learning (and unfortunately colour-blind) so anything that can potentially help me out with colour is appreciated.

What strategies do you use for run-and-gun type shooting or when colour charts or grey cards aren't practical?  Do you just select a kelvin setting and correct later in post?  I've been lately using custom white balance with an expodisc and seem to be getting better results.

Anyway, I'm just learning (and unfortunately colour-blind) so anything that can potentially help me out with colour is appreciated.

Color-blind? Can't even imagine what that means. You should then find someone who can do the CC for you.

What strategies do you use for run-and-gun type shooting or when colour charts or grey cards aren't practical?  Do you just select a kelvin setting and correct later in post?  I've been lately using custom white balance with an expodisc and seem to be getting better results.

Color temperature is not always something that needs correction. Color-blind or not, you'd certainly agree that a sunset or candle light mean images with an orange cast, but you'd rather not choose, say, 2000°K, because there's no point in neutralizing this cast, it's part of the overall mood. At least you should distinguish between tungsten (3200°K) and daylight (5600°K). On a cold, cloudy winter day, 5600°K would read too blue to look natural, therefore it should be 6500°K. 

An expodisc (also known as white balance cap) is better than a greycard, because colors will be more consistent throughout the scene. However, it will make colors look neutral. That's not what we expect to see in most cases. We don't see light bulbs as outright orange, but we certainly don't see them as pure white.