Premiere Pro projects gone after reboot!

Ernesto Mantaras

EDIT: Solved it! That's a relief. So never mind, let the topic die.

This is completely nuts, it never happened to me. I am working on the sound of a short film, a job I got that I have to deliver by monday, but was aiming to finish it by tomorrow. It was all great, I had finished more than half of it, and then Premiere started shutting down everytime I tried to change the volume of a file. I tried several times and then after saving a new copy of the project (there were four in total) I rebooted my PC to see if that made anything.
After the reboot I started Premiere and the last three projects were not listed. So I went to the project folder and saw they weren't there either. I looked for them everywhere but they were nowhere to be found. Rebooted again and nothing changed. I tried saving another copy of the first version (and only one) of the project that I had, then rebooted and it's still here, it hasn't disappered.
This makes no sense.
Actually, I should be clearer, all of the files I created after the first version of the project are gone. That includes the three versions that disappeared and all the WAVs I created. Everything's gone. I'm running Recuva right now to see if I can find them, but this makes no sense and makes me very worried about all of my work! I lost two days if I can't recover from this.
Could this be a virus or something?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1353025707' post='21725']
What was the solution Charlie?

Separately I'm having issues with Resolve in Windows. Was working fine until a few days ago and now Quicktime decoder exe keeps crashing during sessions. Windows is so reliable isn't it??!?
[/quote]

Ha! As this was happening to me I actually thought about your words on Windows, because I've never had major problems using PCs (that's all I know, never had the luck or interest to use Macs) and facing this issue I said to myself "Andrew was right!". But much to my embarassment, I caused the issue, not Windows.
The problem was at some point when working on the first version of my project I imported an asset from my portable drive (while the project I was working on was in my PC, inside a 2TB RAID 0) and that's where Premiere left it's importing and also it's SAVING dialog at. So when I saved the second version it was saved into the portable drive, instead of my PC (saving is second nature to me, and I use keyboard shortcuts almost exclusively, so I didn't even look).
After encountering this issue of Premiere shutting down I rebooted and my PC has a quirk in which I have to disconnect every USB drive I have connected or it won't start (alright, this is an argument for you to hit PCs! haha). Apparently it always tries to boot from them. I tried to configure the BIOS to prevent this but haven't been succesful. So I just live with it.
Anyways, the drive wasn't connected when I reopened Premiere, so the projects didn't show up in the startup dialog, I connected the portable drive, checked my project folder, everything was gone, made searches on my RAID 0, and tried other stuff. It was only afterwards that I dawned on my that this folder mix up could've happened, so I searched inside the hard drive and there was everything I thought I'd missed.

So... you're free to bash me on my stupidity. But I'm still very relieved for not losing my work!

As for you trouble in Resolve, yeah, sometimes installing the most unrelated stuff can mess up other drivers. Perhaps making a System Recovery back to the day Quicktime worked can help you?

P/S: My real name is Ernesto, not Charlie. This is a username I've been using for more than ten years, it dates back to highschool times when I created a character of that name and I didn't trust the internet enough to give them my real name. :P