Achieving a silent film look with a 5DMKII?

timroz

Is this possible? I'm looking to undercrank some footage a little but not sure if a 5D is the best way to approach this. Obviously there will have to be a good work done in post to achieve the aesthetic I'm looking for (vignettes, iris-in, iris-out, etc) but in terms of frame rate, I'm a little confused as to what I should do. Any help appreciated!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='timroz' timestamp='1352849499' post='21569']
Is this possible? I'm looking to undercrank some footage a little but not sure if a 5D is the best way to approach this. Obviously there will have to be a good work done in post to achieve the aesthetic I'm looking for (vignettes, iris-in, iris-out, etc) but in terms of frame rate, I'm a little confused as to what I should do. Any help appreciated!
[/quote]

Haven't been following the Magic Lantern version on the Mark 3 lately, but there's a frame rate override feature on it that would let you do that.. You might look into that? Good luck!

To get the right motion resolution you should keep in mind that most of the old silent movies we see today were shot at a speed of around 16 fps. [i]Around[/i], because the film was transported through the film gate by the cameraman with a crank. They were being transferred to run @24 fps by frame doubling. This is how we ever got the chance to see these films.

>shoot at 24 fps, shutter 1/25.
>speed up 150 %, no frame blending, no optical flow or flow motion, this means throwing away 8 frames per second
> export this
> re-import it into a 24 fps timeline
> slow down to values between 80 and 85 % (to simulate the handcranking), again, only repeating frames

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is logical. I did this before, but I can't remember the details. But it's the principle.
EDIT 2: If you turn [u]on[/u] pixel flow in the last step, it will look like more motion blur, give it a try.