Tokyo test footage - attempting a Ridley Scott with the hacked GH2 and Olympus 12mm F2

Andrew Reid

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Collaboration on ideas is fine like that, but not so much when it comes to sharing resources across borders. You send me some actors for instance… it doesn’t work. You end up being boxed into separate non-collaborative efforts and splicing them together afterwards, even though the overall script and idea has been a collaborative effort.

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest morekitsch
[html]

This is certainly great stuff. I was super close to buying that exact lens a few days ago. I do have a concern though. While I love my GH2 I’m certain that within 12months Canon will produce models that fix most of their existing video problems (digic 5 seems capable).

This makes me worry about buying expensive m43 lenses since we’ll likely all be moving to APS-c or FF in a year or so. Can you strap such a small lens onto a larger camera? I don’t imagine it works in that direction even if canon makes a mirror-less model. I really like m43, but I can’t imagine they can squeeze much more performance out of that format. So I worry about investing money for lenses that might not transfer to another format easily.

Do you think this concern is unwarranted? Obviously your desire for wides has made you take the plunge, but will those elsne still be useful 3-4 years from now like your collection of older ebay lenses.

I’m hoping I’m totally wrong, as the 12mm is a wonderful lens.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

It was next to the train station in Shinjuku, a really surprising find. Very small but beautifully formed [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

It is bad at the long end of a zoom, and zooms vignette more easily at the wide end. I did however get it to go along very nicely with the Canon 10-22mm which has a different optical design and internally zooming parts which seem to help. From 14mm to 22mm it was good to go.

[/html]

Guest Rosebud
[html]

That ramen bar at 1.12… dude where is that, that was my fave part, I love finding places like that, there’s a few cafe’s like that in Berlin. Always love eating ramen in neon soaked rain thanks to BR, the streets of Manila are like this too [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[/html]

Guest Umbrella
[html]

stop trying to shoot full frame lol micro four thirds is not trying to be full fame. full frame isn’t as flexible as m4/3 and are for different applications. keep the 25mm, get the 12mm and a 45mm. thats it. Anything else is just extra glass. i use soviet glass for day, modern faster glass for night, M4/3 can use almost any lens, if i cared about X2 crop factor i would buy full frame. we are a different breed, be happy [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[/html]

Guest morekitsch
[html]

I plan to keep the GH2. The trick is that everyone goes ‘Get a cheap body and spend the rest of your money on lenses’ that makes sense only if you get lenses that you can hang onto for a long time. I have no problem buying an m43 lens or two, but knowing that I can’t swap to another system means I should be more diligent about buying more universal lenses. Spending $800 to compensate for a 2x crop seems silly. Of course I still really like the lens and might just get it anyway and be happy for a year or two with it, as long as I don’t do that too much. (for instance I should probably return my new 25mm 1.4 Lumix/leica lens and i get the 12mm instead since it’s more useful for cinema — the 25 is really nice, but it’s a lower priority to a wider lens)

[/html]

[html]

Why not keep the GH2? I mean, be honest you won’t get much for it in 12 months. And while something from Canon at that point might be better for some situations, I’ll bet my bottom dollar Canon’s cameras are NOT going to give you the same aesthetic as the GH2 (an aesthetic you may still have use for from time to time). Lenses for m4/3 will not go onto FF, not on APS-C either. The mount is farther forward on both of those. so the lenses would need to recess into the camera body, first of all. (that’s why the GH2 is so awesome. it has the opposite . . . the lens must be farther in front of the camera . . . hence room for adaptors to pretty much any lens. The only lens mount that recesses on the GH2 is c-mount, and even that is only by a few mm.)

[/html]

Guest Umbrella
[html]

ahh are you shooting a horror? thriller? street? or interior? to be frank not only are you underexposed but your iso ahh you really want to stay away from high iso settings anything passed 640 without a fast lens (f2 – 0.95) can be troublesome. Unless you have a very fast lens, expose correct and suitable iso your going to have trouble with almost any camera. Try shutter 1/25 with a tripod. tripod is a must.

[/html]

Guest johnspirou
[html]

i shoot with histogram on and trying to have an equally balanced picture.
Can you try to shoot something in very low light, 24p 1/50 or 1/60 with iso 6400 and up ?
I have a very strange horizontal band in lower third.
I tried 2 cameras and have the same problem.

[/html]

Guest stoneinapond
[html]

A beautiful piece. Of course it doesn’t hurt to have Vangelis as the soundtrack. His music made Blade Runner what it was as much as anything else. So, wanting to see the effect of the music (or lack of), I muted the soundtrack on your piece and was pleased to discover that your cinematography still held up. The music just brings it all together.

Well done.

[/html]

Guest kronstadt
[html]

Hi Andrew,
Love that video!

If you were strapped for cash and could get only ONE lens in this range, which one would you get?
Noktor 12mm F1.6 OR Olympus 12mm F2
I’m asking because your review of the upcoming Noktor 12mm was also very good. So which one of the 2 would you choose?
(As I understand it, you wouldn’t get the Panasonic 14mm F2.5)

Also would you advise any good old (from 1970s-80s) cheap eBay alternatives in this ultra-wide range?

Thanks

[/html]