Tokyo adventure / Fuji X100 / Tascam DR-5

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tokyo-taxi.jpg[/img]

Above: Tokyo shot on the GH2 with Olympus 12mm F2

I am in Japan right now for a short holiday. This place is incredible, a blend of high tech and high tradition. The Japanese also have impeccable politeness that spreads a feel good vibe over almost everything you see or do. The countryside and mountains have a zen-like calm and minimalism, the city of Tokyo has a Bladerunner-like futuristic buzz to it but actually Shanghai is more like a bustling Bladerunner dystopia. Tokyo is very ordered and utopian.

[url="/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Reinout
[html]

Welcome back online! Look forward to seeing some of your footage! Would actually be great to discover more about audio equipment for the gh2, so i’m very curious about your results.

[/html]

Guest richardgazzo
[html]

Welcome to Tokyo!
Happy to hear that you had a good time, this city is really incredible. I’ve been living here for 10 years and i keep discovering new things everyday…enjoy your stay [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[/html]

Guest Simco123
[html]

I know westerners who lived and worked in Tokyo who had negative experience namely discrimination, corruption and dare to think differently. Great if you are a tourist, its all geared towards pleasing.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

It has been a struggle… Hosting company did not help much. Got some good stuff in the pipeline for this week, hopefully site will take the traffic a bit better.

[/html]

Guest moebius22
[html]

Christ, don’t have a cow. Most of us (maybe not you) come from a Western background, which means Japanese is a challenge. How do you deal with it?

[/html]

Guest tjbates05
[html]

While you’re there – you should pick yourself up a 5DMKII. Nothing seems to be replacing it in the near future. Full frame glory. Great for stills photography and with the Mosaic Engineering anti aliasing filter – well the world’s your video oyster. Just imagine never having to think about crop factors or hacks. You’d have the Panny GH2, the Fuji X100 and the Sony NEX 5n all in one camera. The kit lens (EF 24-105mm) is great. It’s stabilised, quiet, weather sealed and balances well with the camera body – no rigs necessary. f4.0 produces the same DOF as your GH2 at f2.8. Imagine having access to relatively inexpensive fast wide primes. And with the Zacuto Z-Finder, well it’s like shooting video from the 3rd row at the cinema. Who needs auto focus. Really dude, think it over. BTW, great post – thanks and enjoy Tokyo!

[/html]

Guest Umbrella
[html]

Stills, for me? it’s still analogue, the fuji GW690III and MamiyaRZ to name a few, As i said over at PB, when you see the quality these units are capable of with fujifilm and kodaks new film offerings we realise digital hasn’t replaced anything BUT offers convinience, the rest is marketing, a disease. So 10k digital investment or a 300 dollar unit thats 15 years old even older. Mamiya still service there old cameras. Check it out for yourselves.

PS. Someone please save Kodak.

[/html]

[html]

Sorry, 5D got its rep because it was the FIRST DSLR used for video. For this, I respect it. But it is time to move on. It’s not really very good at video. I’ve used them and while full frame is nice for certain applications, that’s pretty much where the good list stops. Sorry, but Canon’s glass is a B*tch to use with godawful endless focus rings, the audio is abominable, moire is yucky, and generally the image really doesn’t resolve very crisp. They overheat, the HDMI out doesn’t do HD, and better glass is very expensive. The GH2 is more flexible, the Nex 5N seems to have better image quality, even Canon’s own 7D does better in many areas. On top of that, its an old camera, and I’ve got to believe that some company somewhere has got to be on the verge of releasing a new full frame camera if that’s what your’e after. The 5D was great at one time, but like I said, its now time to move on.

[/html]

Guest alanpoiuyt
[html]

Good to have you back online – just grabbed the 12mm too. GH2 + 12mm Oly = wide to go.
Just shot this with it.

http://vimeo.com/32417304

I enjoy your observations on life & optics Andrew

[/html]

[html]

Hay, andrew . . . have you ever used Nikon AI lenses? I’ve heard they are cream of the crop, but haven’t tried any. Thoughts on the best ’70-’80s 35mm still lenses?

[/html]