Sony NEX 5N hack is go - 46Mbit 1080p tested and working

Andrew Reid

[quote name='christianhubbard' timestamp='1344961229' post='15705']
..still havent seen any footage of this tested and working.

How can anyone be expected to donate if it looks like you could be lying right out of the gate?

Not saying you are, I just don't understand why there isn't any footage available to view.
[/quote]

you need to read up on what is involved. the money is to pay for cameras so he can break the encryption. The hacker has proved his skills - skills that not one other person has shown since speak of hacking a nex started back in 2010. We are not paying for the guy to create a marketing campaign. This is not a business proposal or a corporate strategy. Once each encryption is broken into and open to the world, there are many people who will be able to develop patches. Lots of people have donated including me. if people were not so negative things would move faster. you get ripped off 10 times over by insurance companies, banks, tax etc. yet you are worried about maybe losing $10,$15, even a tiny $50..? The Sony F3 guys paid over £1000 for a firmware update to allow them to use S-LOG. And they had paid over £15000 for their camera before. Think ourselves lucky someone is doing this at all. we need community members for this to work. Have some trust - if it goes wrong then tell me I was wrong and I'll admit. Until then maybe join the others who have accumulated over $1000 in less than a day and help to make it happen if it is something that interests you enough to comment on it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Dear Someone 1.00,

I would like to speak on behalf of the numerous Olympus OM-D E-M5 owners (like myself), whom primarily use this camera for videography.

To cut to the chase, and in short, can you or are you planning on hacking the Olympus OM-D to release it's full potential in video-mode? I would like to request this, since the other famous hacker, Vitaly Kiselev, has already told all of us in the past and has admitted he will never work on a hack nor plan to hack for the OM-D ever, and is primarily focused on the Panasonic cameras.

Even though the OM-D is mostly viewed as a "stills-camera" to most, many of us believe it is one of the best video cameras out there currently, if not The best video camera, due to it's ease in run-and-gun, street and casual shooting, because of it's one-of-a-kind IBIS feature. Which, makes handheld shooting without any extra camera-support (such as large and expensive shoulder rigs, fluid heads, tripods, steady-rigs) very much possible and easy in everyday situations. IBIS is THE #1 reason which makes the OM-D a fantastic video camera; and, better than any other camera for us casual/street/run&gun shooters. I even prefer it to, and have actually sold, my previously owned Canon 5D2, Canon 60D and Sony Nex 5N; which are all touted as being some of the best HDSLR's out there; just for this reason alone (IBIS). Stable-video, even with lower bitrates/quaity (ie: OM-D), is much more enjoyable to watch, than shaky video, with higher quality bitrates (ie: 5D2, 60D, 5N).

However, the biggest drawbacks of the OM-D for video shooting is it's very low bitrates of 19-20mbps, lack of 24p, inability for IBIS to work in Video-mode with adapted and non-native lenses and the low quality compression codecs, just to name the few, major, issues. If these aforesaid issues were fixed, the OM-D would be one of the most desirable video-cameras out there.

Additionally, the OM-D's sensor has been compared to many other cameras and has been proven to be the best m43 sensor to date - in it's clean low-light handling, clean high ISO ability, a very wide/large Dynamic Range which is almost up to par with Full Frame sensors and even beats almost all APS-C sensors, etc. The OM-D's sensor has a very large potential to capture some high quality video images, with a proper OM-D video hack.

If you have any opinions or plans on hacking the OM-D, please do let us know.

Thank you for reading my request.

Regards,
fooddude

• 1 year later...