Post Production Workflow with GH4

Petros Goritsas

My dear colleagues,

I really need your input on the following subject.

• I own an 21.5 inch iMac since 2011( i know its been a really long time... i should upgrade...)
  • Processor  2.5 ghz intel core i5
  • Memory 4gb 1333 Mhz DDR3
  • Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Now that i am shooting 4K (4096.2160) at 100mbps with GH4 , i am using the following workflow.

• Using Apple's Compressor, i transcode all the 4K MOVS to Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) 
  • Import them in FCP7 and start editing.

So far so good, but having only a 512 MB Graphics card i am now facing difficulties in the grading process.

Davinchi Resolve is constantly dropping at the 1920.1080p Apple Pro Res 422 HQ xml export from FCP7.

In addition when trying to reduce the Davinchi's timeline resolution i have to do it drastically so i can colour correct or apply any LUT.

I am trying different ways to solve this but i need your insight in this one.

Last but least, i am trying to avoid conforming all the 4K MOVS to a 1080p MOV (using a H264 codec).  

I need to find a workaround , cause of the VLOG and LUT packages i am planning to buy and explore soon enough.

Hope i can make things work with my old time iMac machine :)

Petros Goritsas

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I cant help you but still want to thank you for making me aware of Compressor. I use it now to transcode my LX100 4k Files to 1080p Apple Pro Res 422 HQ. That takes quite some time on my MBP from 2011, but FCPX just need to create the proxy media and thats it. perfect!