Tearing issue Asus PA238Q monitor

nielsi

I recently got my new Asus PA238Q IPS monitor to connect to my laptop as a replacement screen. I’m very pleased with the color accuracy and consistency! No real light bleeding issues and it all works great for photo editing.

The problem is though that I started to notice some very annoying tearing issues in video. When I watch a YouTube or Vimeo video with some movement in it whole parts of the video feel like they’re shifting. Something that I’m not at all used to on the standard laptop display. If I watch a tearing test video like this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCPkOpMHB7g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCPkOpMHB7g[/url] the moving bar is tearing very badly.

All this display technology is very new to me, so I’m hoping some of you with more experience could guide me in the right direction on how to fix this. I can’t imagine a modern $250,- monitor isn’t able to play video without intense deforming, and this thing poses a real issue when I want to review and edit my videos on this screen.

Some background info:

The laptop uses a GeForce 9600M GT graphics card with the latest drivers, Windows 7. Changing the refresh rate between 60, 59 and 50hz makes no difference. Turning vsync on in the Nvidia control panel makes no difference (this is under 3D settings, so I’m not sure if that would make any difference for video rendering anyway). I’m using a DisplayPort connection though the HDMI connection shows the same issue. I don’t have a DVI connector on the laptop. The problem is most visible in a windowed mode and less in full screen, occurs in multiple browsers (IE, Chrome, FF) and in video applications like VLC and MPC.

Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs