Canon Cleam HDMI out?

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
http://www.personal-view.com/news/articles/johnnie-behiri-confirms-clean-hdmi-out-on-canon-t4i-650d

Johnnie Behiri confirms: CLEAN HDMI OUT on Canon T4i / 650D

TweetThis is not a joke. Johnnie Behiri just confirmed that the Canon T4i seems to be Canon’s first HDSLR camera that has a clean hdmi-out feed! Is it usable? That’s an important question. Initial testing was done with an Atomos Ninja 1 and the footage had some issues. The signal is clean, but further testing has to be done to see if the 650D’s signal is actually usable for external recording. Canon & Atomos have been contacted to make sure they can work out any issues here. We’ve seen a similar situation before when the Nikon D800 & Atomos Ninja combination posed some challenges that have now been resolved. A source of the problem could also be the fact that the camera used was a beta model. What does it mean? Up until this day all Canon HDSLR cameras had overlays within the hdmi signal that could not be removed making an external recording impossible. The signal coming from the beta Canon T4i / 650D tested is clean. In theory having a clean signal means that you can record the video feed to an external device like the Atomos Ninja and get a ready to edit, quality encoded Apple ProRes file. The signal from the beta 650D seems to be routed to the hdmi port before it is being compressed. There are definitely less compression artifacts in the footage recorded on the Ninja than in the h.264 internally compressed files. The Canon Rebel T4i / 650D kit with the 18-55...

• Administrators
It is worth keeping an eye out on Johnnie's progress. He's a good guy.

As for the 650D , the codec is not the weak point. I think the HDMI is an interlaced signal and it won't solve the moire or resolution issues - very unlikely to anyway.

So contarary to your previous report, Andrew, were you claim there is zero reasons to get the 650D because Canon you claimed made no improvement. Do you think you have to back track on your earlier statements? We have yet to see how well the 650D can grade and if it is anything as good as 5DIII in sharpening.
Why did Canon not mention clean HDMI? Maybe they don't consider it such a big deal given the small difference it made to colour space while Nikon trumped about it and some people were clearly duped.

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=869.msg6302#msg6302 date=1340185442]
As for the 650D , the codec is not the weak point. I think the HDMI is an interlaced signal and it won't solve the moire or resolution issues - very unlikely to anyway.
[/quote]

Doesn't need to be a problem. The Sony EX3's output (via HD-SDI!) i.e. to a Samurai, also pretends to be "i", but only for some compatibility-thing, it still is progressive if you see the content of the frames. Same with the GH2.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=869.msg6303#msg6303 date=1340186296]Why did Canon not mention clean HDMI? Maybe they don't consider it such a big deal given the small difference it made to colour space while Nikon trumped about it and some people were clearly duped.
[/quote]

The compression artifacts you have to deal with if you deal with compressed video are often misinterpreted. If with the 650D the datarate still is an average of 40 mbit/s, you don't have to fear a lot of those. What you then see as problems is from another cause, one which is not eliminated by uncompressed output. I think Canon is right, that clean HDMI out is not such a big deal. Other cameras have it long since, and therefore you hardly can sell it as a big thing.

• Administrators
[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=869.msg6303#msg6303 date=1340186296]
So contarary to your previous report, Andrew, were you claim there is zero reasons to get the 650D because Canon you claimed made no improvement. Do you think you have to back track on your earlier statements? We have yet to see how well the 650D can grade and if it is anything as good as 5DIII in sharpening.
Why did Canon not mention clean HDMI? Maybe they don't consider it such a big deal given the small difference it made to colour space while Nikon trumped about it and some people were clearly duped.
[/quote]

There's still zero reasons to get one. The HDMI output is as shit as the camera judging by early reports. Wake me up when it gets even close to the GH2's image and I'll consider it. Zacuto's shot in the Revenge episode on the 7D would look as bad either via HDMI or via the internal codec. I'm yet to see an HDMI output on a DSLR that gives you a significant boost in image quality, or sorts out moire, or gives you more resolution, or better dynamic range, or less aliasing.

It certainly won't sharpen in post as well as the 5D Mark III, because the moire and aliasing artefacts would be brought out even more. Try sharpening your 600D footage, same thing.

Blue balls!  Tease, tease, tease.  Is this what Canon is doing?  Do they realize BM, Kineraw, and others coming...???

Canon EOS Rebel T4i Has Clean HDMI Out. Almost. *UPDATE*

http://wideopencamera.com/cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t4i-has-clean-hdmi-out/