gh2 unified hack (88MB/s) on a sandisk extreme (45 MB/s)

Mirrorkisser

Hi everyone,

i am using a sandisk extreme sd-card which is class 10 and has a writing speed of 45Mb/s. I also applied the unifed hack (88 MB/s) on my gh2.

Now i am a bit confused. The patch guide says i should use the unified patch for class 10 sd cards. That applies to the Sandisk extreme. But then on the other hand the unified patch has a writing speed of 88MB/s.

So far i am shooting without any problems. Could i possibly screw my camera with this setup? What could technically happen?

Should i rather use the vanilla patch? or one of the driftwood patches?

Any help highly appreciated!!! Cheers a ton!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It wont hurt the camera but if the patch ups the bitrate to more than the card can handle it stop recording and say something like recording cancelled due to card write speed. Mine did this and locked the camera and I had to take the battery out to get it working again. You said you is working so you should be okay and glad its working for you.

Michael64

Thanks for your reply Michael. I had that problem once or twice at the start and after that it started working good.

I just dont want to screw either camera or card or find out in postproduction that frames or something are missing.

I am also not sure if the difference between the unified and the vanilla hack is that big?

Thanks again!

Edit: Alright, to add more confusion: the hack is 88Mbits while the card is able to produce 45MBs. So it should handle the hack fine right?

[quote author=Mirrorkisser link=topic=862.msg6261#msg6261 date=1340089922]Edit: Alright, to add more confusion: the hack is 88Mbits while the card is able to produce 45MBs. So it should handle the hack fine right?[/quote]

In theory. If the camera can exploit this capacity - which it can't. Someone explained it and I didn't understand the details, but you're right, a 45 MBs card should shovel up to 360 mbit/s and not stall at 88 mbit/s, so there you have the proof. I still have two inferior Transcent cards, class 10 though, but people made bad experiences. Me too, so I also bought the Sandisk. The Transcent is sufficient for Vanilla.

For a medium bitrate - I believe it was about 70 mbit/s with GOP 3 - the [url=http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2123/gh2-cake-v2.3-reliability-and-spanning-in-720p-hbr-24p-and-vmm-at-2-2.5x-stock-bit-rates/p1][color=red]Cake[/color][/url] - patch seems worth trying. Just now I shot a few minutes with V2.3, even on a cheap Transcent, and until now everythings seems okay. Looks good also.

Thanks for your reply Axel! Helpful as always!

I got 3 Sandisk extreme cards last christmas, so for my its not an issue with the cards. Its rather the space the shootings take. For example if you want to take your camera with you for a trip and dont want to bring an external harddisk.

Which hack are you shooting with the most regular?

Actually i am so noobish that i think i do not even see the difference between 44mbits, 70mbits and 88.