Sharing designs for a new self-built cage-system which turns digital-SLR-style video cameras into "run-and-gun" vintage-anamorphic rigs.

octoplex

I set myself a challenge: To turn a lowly Sony FX3 video camera into a run-and-gun rig for shooting with vintage 35mm-movie anamorphic lenses from ISCO and Schneider etc. These movie-theater lenses are massive, but are great for video work. The problem is in mounting them. They need a taking lens at the rear, and a variable-diopter at the front.

I'm in the process of designing and machining a new type of cage for the FX3 (and other similar cameras). As you can see in these basic renderings, the FX3 body will be 'caged' in a purple-anodized exoskeleton. This is bolted to the camera body using all available mounting-points (there are several). This allows the addition of four, strong aluminum rods. These extend in both directions perpendicular to the camera body.

cage.jpg.dec1f4fe0c5c9a485009c1c972e74201.jpg

On the front-end, these rods allow various lens-support struts to be added. On the back-end, they allow a shoulder-rest to extend out. With suitable counter-weighting, these massive ISCO and Schneider lenses can be used in a run-and-gun style set-up:

run.jpg.44f11295e55ee7513885da5b77721ad5.jpg

It is especially important to me that this rig can be knocked about during shooting. Like you, I am tired of flimsy camera set-ups that look like they're made of Frankenstein-parts. I'd like a camera rig that has some coherence, style, and durability to it. For this reason, I've slightly over-engineered everything for high-durability. The Sony FX3 sits inside a tank-like, milled-aluminum exoskeleton. The on-board fold-out display is protected by a stainless-steel 'hood' section. Personally, I'm not a fan of adding external-monitors to these cameras. The on-board display is more than classic 35mm movie cameras ever had.

strong.jpg.fdc6b33b5cd6cb4c70bfbbbab2426f33.jpg

Onto this entire rig-framework, outer panels are attached, giving the system a waterproof, protective covering, and cleaning-up the look:

panels.jpg.378afce166446dde437934a31bbf3abe.jpg

panels-back.jpg.cb0331ba0cf419da59e0d582c5e396d1.jpg

panels-top.jpg.72a2a736ed9d35040e59a911f621b7bb.jpg

I am now working on a parametric CAD model, and will be machining prototype parts this month. I'm interested in any feedback from the community here. Colors in the models are for clarity, the finished rig will be a neutral palette 🙂

My interest is not in whether you like the rig or not, I'm more curious about whether I have overlooked anything vital in the design. Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs