Adapting an unusual Schneider - Kreuznach WA Cinelux Anamorphic 2x MC - 67.5mm, for video.

octoplex

I recently acquired an (apparently) more unusual Cinelux Anamorphic 35mm-movie-projector lens.  As an emerging-cinematographer, I'm trying to adapt this for video use. I wondered if anyone here could answer some questions about this lens? Here it is:

cinelux_1.jpg.2fe4c3fcb625e6497deda7fa197d3924.jpg

My questions:

1. The "focusing ring" (if it is that), with the black locking-screw attached to it, does not seem to do anything. I have not yet attached the lens to a camera, so it may be that this adjustment-ring is doing something so subtle it is currently invisible to my eye?

2. Unlike the more commonly adapted Cinelux lenses, this "Kreuznach WA" model has a much bigger front lens than back lens (apologies for possibly incorrect terminology here). Is this related to the "WA" specification? Does this mean "Wide Angle" or something? The smaller end is 67mm. The bigger I have yet to measure, but noticeably bigger. Incidentally, what does the "MC" specification refer to?

3. Are there some special considerations when adapting this particular Cinelux for video use? Or can I use the same method as with a more common "Cinelux ES" etc?

4. I plan to build a Front Variable Diopter for this Cinelux WA from a modded Century Precision Optics wide-angle convertor, like this person has. Is this going to work? Obviously I need to redesign the mounting system, because, the Cinelux I have has a kind of "lens-hood" and is bigger at the front-end.

cinelus-3.jpg.2a0a5d67f79862ad1d6de5a30fdf90c6.jpgcinelus-2.jpg.4b6d391b7bed846f6c383a6685ca8f97.jpg

Any guidance in solving these mysteries greatly appreciated. Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Important Update: I discovered today that the large adjustable-ring on this Cinelux lens is, indeed, a focusing ring .The reason why it initially appeared to be doing nothing is that the sensitivity on the ring is extremely low.

sch3.jpg.bd278db4707ba3367e4d97b4c54be2ca.jpg

It took about forty turns of the ring to begin to notice a substantial movement in the focus of the lens. This is probably normal for commercial 35mm movie-theater lenses. This is my first close-encounter.

I have now locked the lens at infinity, as is advisable for my intended setup.

I discovered that the "MC" specification of this Cinelux denotes "Multi-Coated" and refers to the lens coating. This Cinelux lens has been coated to reduce flaring artifacts etc. Apparently these Cinelux lenses are known for their very sharp and clear anamorphic properties.

Some cinematographers go as far as removing this Multi-Coat to increase the anamorphic-flaring effect

Some Mysteries Still Remain

I still have no idea what the "WA" specification of this lens denotes. I also do not know why the front element on this lens is bigger than the rear-element (unlike many other Cinelux lenses). I am also unsure about how to build the variable-diopter system that will sit on the front of this anamorphic for single-focus during video work. Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

sch2.thumb.jpg.14cb546a1440e4ee079586b8cc090e93.jpg

Hello friend, I am writing to you from Argentina, I have had this lens for a while and I am still the same as you, I cannot find a way to adapt it and have it focus correctly on my Sony fx3 camera. I understand that a 75mm lens is needed in front between the camera body and this anamorphic lens. Were you able to solve it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 8:24 AM, AVER contenidos audiovisuales said:

I understand that a 75mm lens is needed in front between the camera body and this anamorphic lens. Were you able to solve it?

Hi Friend.
I am still trying to figure out a solution.

What have you tried?
Why do you feel that a 75mm taking-lens is needed?

Currently, I only have some 35mm taking-lenses and I don't yet have a variable-diopter system. I have not yet tested the anamorphic-block (Cinelux) at all.

Interested to hear about your experiments. Perhaps we can guide each other towards an engineering solution for this Cinelux.

I am also trying to get it to play nicely with a full-frame Sony camera.

Incidentally, the reason why the length of the taking-lens is important in this type of adapted-movie-theater-anamorphic-lens set-up is because of the vignetting-risk.

Wider taking-lenses are more prone to capturing a vignette because the field-of-view may partly reveal the housing of the anamorphic-block and/or the variable-diopter single-focus system.

That said, this particular Cinelux WA anamorphic-block appears larger at the front element than the back element; I would speculate this slightly reduces the vignette-risk.

Either way, experimental focusing should be possible, even with a taking lens which is not ideal (ie too wide). The issue would be the vignette.

Without a variable diopter, and only a taking-lens, the Cinelux can only focus at a minimum of five feet. Or, at least, that is my understanding. Are you able to focus your FX3 on objects which are at least 5ft away using the taking lens and this Cinelux?

To be clear, there should be 3 components in a single-focus solution with this lens:

Taking Lens  ->  Anamorphic Block (Cinelux)  ->  Variable Diopter.

UPDATE: I have managed to locate an old Schneider brochure from around the time this lens was manufactured. The Cinelux WA I have appears to have been a top-of-the-line item. The brochure may be of great interest to anyone else who is adapting a Cinelux lens of this era.

cinelux-WA.png.37124e168b81d7f1e31ec0f0599c511c.png

This is good news, as far as the likely-quality of the lens goes, but there's not a huge amount of technical detail in the brochure. This is pretty much all it says about the WA edition:

cinelux-wa.png.570f1561a12cfc3e5fc75e54f0d55f82.png

• 2 months later...