HDD advice for mobile living

Rees Archibald

Dear all,

I plan on being without a desktop for a few months of being on the road and need to transfer from using a tower with 6TB of media storage/scratch disk etc on 3 HDD to a laptop accessing and using those drives via some kind of interface.

So I was assuming that I would get a thunderbolt dock such as the Highpoint Rocketstor 5212, and then swapping drives out based on what I needed to access at the time. This would mean the drive usage stays the same but I am just swapping out drives based on what I need to access at the time (which means something like one scratch disk -- 128GB SSD -- and one media disk (2TB drive) mounted in the dock.

I have about 300GB of SSD drive left on the laptop after installing MacOS and Windows (I need both for various things) and so probably have enough space to use that drive to process and render material then swap it out to another disk via a dock -- however that is a logistical nightmare after a while I'd imagine and it would be easier (if possible) to have my current drive usage staying the same using the dock anytime I am working. But is this realistic using thunderbolt docks?

I wonder if anyone has any advice based on their experience? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rees

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs