What expensive camera obsessions are doing for filmmaking

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sc_200f5185b2cba2a0a2b775121674ff8d
[html]

Yeah and I need to read more clearly, having gone to college and studying that field… Not as bad as Andrew though. I’ll correct, I didn’t mean to slant Art Adams. He actually had nothing to say about Koo…

“I find it interesting that Ryan Koo of Nofilmschool recently pre-ordered the new Scarlet-X for $10k…”

ANYONE familiar with Koo’s kickstarter campaign and accompanying campaign video would NOT find this “Interesting” as he stated in his video that he was shooting on RED. He already made that decision. But of course research (journalism 101) escapes you…

“Of course he can invest how he sees fit but isn’t the generously donated $120k better spent on the actual film? Hell knows why he felt he needed it.”

A real journalist would have contacted the filmmaker and asked him why he made that decision(again journalism 101). Its obvious that you did not do this. So instead of giving readers the reasoning behind that decision, they read your ignorance, “Hell knows knows why he felt he needed it.”

[/html]

[html]

Seems like there is a lot of jealously on these boards because someone ended up with a brand new RED.
The rules of crowd funding are simple.
Projects are listed. Read it. If you like it, pay money and receive the following perk.
THAT’S IT. There’s no auditing, no balancing books, and no control over what the filmmaker does with the money, so get your nose from where it doesn’t belong. If you’re jealous because a filmmaker is buying a RED, go do your own crowd funding then.

Don’t trust the filmmaker? Don’t donate!

[/html]

[html]

I guess eoshd could update this after ryan koo explains why he stated he’d rent a camera and now is buying one with his own money but not reimbursing the people who donated $15000 for him to rent a camera as he originally stated. I think he should refund everyone involved after such a move. You’d be better off trying to get him to address that, so far he hasn’t. His explanation goes in line with his self-promotion and is trying to say that he’s being attacked. I don’t think so, it appears that people want a valid explanation for what a large ($15,000) amount of donations that aren’t going towards what he said they are and has been avoided by him. He’s had a lot of time to, but he hasn’t.

[/html]

[html]

It’s his business what camera he uses and whether he wants to buy or rent. His video said he was using a RED. If he changed his mind and uses an ARRI that’s HIS business and doesn’t affect the overall goal of making a basketball movie.

Again, Andrew didn’t even bother to interview the filmmaker before writing this crap…

Now Koo is probably not going to discuss any of his journey because people like you think they deserve some kind of explanation for every decision he makes.

You don’t deserve anything! Its HIS money! He can do ANYTHING WITH IT!!!

[/html]

[html]

Unless Koo can provide his statement that he is not using fundraising money I found this shaddy too

There is just too many shaddy accounting scandal, mostly recent the Olympus, so I don’t take their word unless they prove it.

[/html]

Guest moebius22
[html]

He did. Case closed…for me.

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/11/im-ordering-scarlet-x-some-clarifications/comment-page-1/#comment-117815

[/html]

[html]

Koo doesn’t have to do ANYTHING!!! He is perfectly allowed to buy a RED with the money.

He doesn’t have to prove ANYTHING to you. If he decides “his” crowd funding money is best spent on 4 REDs then he can rent or buy 4 REDs.
Its none of YOUR business what HE does with HIS money!

[/html]

Guest Kingswell
[html]

@newone Defamation has nothing to do with being famous. “An individual is defamed when a person publishes to a third party words or matter containing an untrue imputation against his or her reputation” (Liberty) You could be sued for libel, as could eoshd.com

[/html]

[html]

Lay off of Koo man. What the hells with people hackin’ on a fellow filmmaker. He’s actually making films OK? Isn’t that what matters? He went out his way to ask for help. He had a goal, a dream, a film he wanted to make and he’s making it possible. Now no need to hate on that. Most aspiring filmmakers are only sittin’ on their ass just dreamin’. Koo asked for DONATIONS, everyone of Koo’s backers DONATED to Koo to make his film possible. So don’t be judging the morality or the legality of the money. I’ll say this to close, we’re filmmakers and as filmmakers we make film. He’s doing that. Don’t be hatin’ on Koo.

[/html]

Guest OverCranked
[html]

[ Koo doesn’t have to do ANYTHING!!! He is perfectly allowed to buy a RED with the money.] This is not the impression he is giving in his campaign. Black on white ( well pixels on screen ).

[ He doesn’t have to prove ANYTHING to you. If he decides “his” crowd funding money is best spent on 4 REDs then he can rent or buy 4 REDs.
Its none of YOUR business what HE does with HIS money! ] With that logic it’s non of your business how one questions his public actions in a public space.

Once again ; on his campaign There is no mention about the fact that he has a personal spending power to level of purchasing a personal $14000.00 camera. By any moral standard he should have mention this. i am sure it couldn’t have changed anything in the bottom line. In fact it could have raised his image and dedication level in the eye of donors. It could have appeared that he will be renting the RED with the donated funds and he will be using the Scarlet as the B roll. The question is if the project goes down crash and burn ( like that has ever happened before ! ) and the donors money with it to what level he will be effected personally and financially- now for sure his own $14000.00 will be safe in the form of a camera. One would wonder if he was willing to toss that $14000.00 in the pot if the totally understandable excuse of the personal Scarlet purchase was not there. For sure that could have nail his dedication and the believe in the project to the wall.

And yet again; it’s nothing personal. it’s about the principals of handling donation money. If you think the donated money is his now you are wrong.

As a footnote i wonder how much he was able to collect if you had run his campaign for him with this fiery language and opinions of yours. How about Koo uses your lines on the masthead of his campaign.

[/html]

Guest ShaunWilson
[html]

If I was Koo or anyone else making a feature and had the hardware to back it up, Id be shooting on a Scarlet as well. The reason I say that is purely because of the RAW recording and Im sure Koo might say the same thing in part. If I could find a cheaper option than a Scarlet, Id shoot on that. Im not interested in the biggest and best option, I just know as a film maker I can do more for my audience with a RAW video image than a baked on white balance video image, and scarlets are the cheapest (that I know of) option for achieving this goal. In saying that, Id be over the moon if a firmware upgrade could make a 550D into a RAW video shooter at 1080, hell, Id even shoot VHS RAW if there ever was such a thing! Imagine having a future Ninja recorder in 5K RAW hooked up to a Hi-8 cam I got on e-Bay for 8 bucks. Now thats classy (er, maybe not…). What? Im not going to get true 4K resolution from a SD chip!?? Oh well, back to my VHS camera. McFly might be proud.

[/html]

Guest DocIsChief
[html]

He also stated that you don’t have to pay 15 grand up front. Just because you use KickStarter doesn’t mean you can no longer purchase anything unless it goes towards the project. He also said the camera purchase is a partnership so it isn’t just him. Also, the camera might not even be used on the KickStarter project. People just think they have the right to say how others should spend their own money. Your funds don’t automatically get intertwined with donated funds. He’s not using the donations to buy the camera, end of story. Would people still fill this way if they found out that during filming he went out and put a down payment on a $15,000 car? Or if he moved and put down money for a new apartment? Doubtful. He’s given no reason to receive this type of backlash

[/html]

[html]

And if I were a backer or audience, I would want Koo to shoot on a RED.
As an audience, would I want him to film his fast action sport film to be shot on a DSLR or a RED? Please, no thank you to jello motion. If Koo’s gonna put down his money to get a RED and use it on his film to capture the motion he needs, good for him and as an audience it’s a welcome move.

[/html]

[html]

@Overcrank. There is no campaign breakdown of funds!!! He does not owe you or anyone else this!!!! This is really getting out of hand here. I just don’t understand why people like yourself think they’re entitled to know what the film maker is spending HIS money on. Why do you think you deserve to know this?

The campaign doesn’t list many things. How much of the budget is going towards location and towards actors, etc. If you have a problem with the way kickstarter is ran because they believe the filmmaker decides where to spend funds and not some jealous dumbass like yourself then go ahead and bitch like you’ve been doing.

[/html]

[html]

Because one isn’t needed. We don’t need a promissory agreement. We don’t need you to tell everyone how to enforce a kickstarter campaign. You are part of the problem. Your way is the problem. Kickstarter is fine as it is and we don’t need people like yourself budding your dumbass in telling us how to do things.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Well in terms of slow-mo, Scarlet X doesn’t cut it. 5K at 12fps, 4K at 24fps. 2K has a heavy crop. He really needs the Epic for that.

[/html]

Guest studio17b
[html]

How about after you donate, the guy buys himself a new Ferrari or apartment which was not part of the original deal? Hypothetically, this is the same as what happened, because Koo never said (a) he had 10k extra to buy a RED, and (b) he mentioned that he needed 15k explicitly because he doesn’t have a camera capable of shooting what he wanted, so he would have to rent it. Will he still rent that second RED after buying one with his own money? if so, then fair enough. But if not, then it becomes deceptive after the fact.

Personally, I really can’t be buggered if someone got himself a RED. But I do take exception to the moral principles, which to me is fast disappearing in today’s world.

[/html]