Black Magic Article

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I'm curious about the author's comments

[i]"The maximum frame rate of 30fps is said to be limited by the speed of recording CinemaDNG files to SSD. There was no discussion of faster frame rates for lower-data-rate ProRes or DNxHD; it might be the case that 30fps is as fast as the data can be read off the sensor and/or processed for recording."[/i]

And he went on
[i]"Rolling shutter? Yeah, it’s there. Serious? Not really; I had to try pretty hard to provoke it. It’s probably on the order of the rolling shutter in the RED ONE, a PMW-EX1, or the like; much better than on a Canon DSLR or the GH2."
[/i]

I might be misunderstanding what the author meant but if rolling shutter handling is much better on the BM over Canon dSLR then the data reading off the sensor and processed for recording would have been more efficient. This would not be a limiting factor in why the BM is stuck at max 30fps when you consider Canon dSLRs with poor rolling shutter can manage 60fps.

About the screen resolution the author says
[i]"The 5” touchscreen is only 800x480, which may prove to be frustrating for fine focus-finding"[/i]

For me screen size is more critical than resolution (unless it is absolutely useless)  for focussing. I use a 7" external screen that does 720p for my GH2 and I might be tempted to get an updated 7" 1080p screen for the BM so I guess it will be via the thunderbolt port to a HDMI converter to do that?