Best lens for videoing on a Canon 550d

JohnnyMcCaffery

Hi guys,

As I am a new to all of this.  I want to find out what the best lens is for videoing on a Canon 550d.

I've heard people say the EF 50mm f/1.4 and the sigma 30mm f/1.4 is good.  But I want to understand why and will it be suitable for what I'll be shooting.

I'm shooting mainly up close.  A bit of running past the camera  and one long shoot, filming running up a hill.

My budget is from £250 - £300.

Thanks for your help,

Johnny McCaffery.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
hey there

First you must decide if you want a knew canon ef lens or you can satisfy with old canon fd,olympus om russian helios lenses and so on. Because as far as i know you cannot use auto focus with ef lens when shooting a video, can you ? so I think you should reconsider if you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on ef lens with auto focus for stills and not so good built quality and old but great quality lens and built quality. Have a look at this link.

http://vimeo.com/25129350 helios 44 (58mm 2f) and Tair 135mm and 2,8f , great for low light and infinity focus also, which caon fd and olympus om lens cannot offer you so far when you're using a mirror camera. Mirrorless cameras have infinity focu with these but not Canon DSLR. so think about it. you can find many videos of these russian lenses  i also have these two for sale if you're interested let me know i can send you pictures. And sell you for lower price than on ebay ofcourse.

best regards