Lumix GH2: hack and proper settings

weltenbummler

Dear forum,

I hacked my iPhone, so why not improve the camera. Having said this, it is quite confusing what to do.
Mostly I will shoot in 1080 in 24p - with the hack I can pump that to a stable 44mbit. Understood.

A) GOP
Andrew writes on page 82
"You can however setup AVCHD with the hack to be an Intra-frame (i-frame only) codec as well by setting the AVCHD GOP parameter in PTools to 1 instead of 12. This takes up far more space on the SD card but allows bitrates of up to 176Mbit and makes for subtly better motion capture in 1080/24p mode. The overall image quality difference to GOP 12 AVCHD at 44Mbit is subtle though."

Sorry, I don't follow. I thought everything above 44 may be critical. So the GOP number increases the information (bitrate). What I don't get is the intraframe thing - does that have to anything with 1080i?

B) AVCHD or MJPEG
Should I use AVCHD or MJPEG? My guess is the first with 44 - which is GOP12?

C) Slowmo
Sometimes I d like to shoot in slowmo. That then would be 720p50 (60)?  Apparently the camera does not shoot in 1080p with 50 (60) frames. Do I have to adjust something within the hack for this setting?
Will it still be AVCHD or than MJPEG?

Looking forward to your help.

thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Take AVCHD.

Right now people complain about problems with hacks. This unsettles me a bit too, but I'm sure these Problems get solved when proper patches for the FWs, proper SD-cards and the right routines are named. There doesn't seem to be any [i]danger[/i], since with re-immaculated GH2s everything is back to normal.

You can use 50/60 fps only with 720p. Perhaps we will get 1080 50/60p with GH3. Until then you will realize the 720 mode to be of high quality (not like with the EOS-DSLRs), and you can scale up the odd slomo with no pain in your 1080 24p timeline.

> There doesn't seem to be any danger, since with re-immaculated GH2s everything is back to normal.

No immediate danger indeed. But some high bit rate patch users report their cams getting hot. that surely is not going to be beneficial to the chips and circuitries lifespan in the long run... 

Hot? Okay. As I wrote before, I tried and I tried but I couldn't see any [u]unambiguous[/u] difference in quality between 44 mbit and the Driftwood Intras.
I consider my awareness for sharpness, resolution a.s.f. above average, having worked in many jobs that require critical focus. So I guess I am right and those who see those differences are wrong.