Iscorama 2001 question

Dave Reeve

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iscorama

Iscorama 2001

The first of the early 1990s sealed anamorphic monobloc Iscoramas. These were the spiritual successors to the original Iscorama, but were much more limited in their range of possible applications due to their sealed construction and fixed anamorphic optics. Ironically, some of the 2000 series lenses were also optically inferior to their 1960s forebears.

Like all the lenses in this series, the Iscorama 2001 was a strange hybrid of ISCO anamorphic optical elements and components cannibalised from another manufacturer’s prime lens. In order to keep these new monobloc anamorphics as compact and lightweight as possible, and to minimise vignetting effects, ISCO were obliged to craft them from 50mm prime lenses with relatively small diameter front lens elements. This ruled out the use of high-end, fast maximum aperture primes, and all but one of the 2000 series anamorphic were constructed from inexpensive, entry-level donor lenses; in this case, Nikon’s F-mount 50mm f/1.8.

The 2001 was produced in both single-coated and multicoated versions, and along with the 2004, is the only 2000 series lens to sometimes feature a serial number on the front lock ring. These appear to be rather random, covering a range from 00002 to 73892.

Yes - I'd read this but don't think German manufacturer's back then would be so arbitrary or random about numbering lenses and I was wondering if they were made as batches for different purposes - like for example commercial sale, military (I remember reading somewhere that these lenses were developed for military use.) ... ? And then if there was any difference optically or they are as identical as can be.

Here is a pic - I was hoping to have the chance to shoot some vid but didn't (babies!) and even the still is only hand held so could be perhaps sharper - Hopefully I'll be able to add something better on wednesday! Photo was taken with the lens that has the serial number on an 550d.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23033638@N00/11909895424/