David Hockney and the Canon 5D Mark II - Exclusive interview with Ted Chau

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Hockney-DSLRs.jpg[/img]

Above: artist David Hockney at his DSLR video bank

For his latest work David Hockney shot video with a rig of nine 5D Mark II DSLRs provided by his fine art printing solutions supplier [url="http://www.chaudigital.com/"]Ted Chau[/url].

The work is for Hockney’s new exhibition [url="http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hockney/"]currently open at the Royal Academy[/url] in London. Similar to his photography and painting – the video piece is a large montage of 18 canvas-like video displays, showing DSLR footage shot by the artist in Yorkshire, England.

In this interview Ted Chau talks to EOSHD about the project and Hockney’s use of DSLRs.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7697/david-hockney-and-the-canon-5d-mark-ii-exclusive-interview-with-ted-chau/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hello Andrew,

I saw your tweet 

[b]@EOSHD: The DSLR community is almost 95% creatively bankrupt...Articles on Hockney's use of DSLRs = 0 comments. Articles on gear reviews = Millions![/b]

and I was moved to post. Funny, after you tweeted that, days ago, there are *still* no posts here~! It doesn't please me to be the first.

I could write an intelligent dissertation on the progression of David Hockney's sick ass art practice and why I like it, but no one would read that anyway, right?

I never post stuff on the internets but I just wanted you to know that there is a silent faction of individuals who appreciate your blog for all the right reasons (I can't be the only one).

I have a background in fine art and I'm working on my first feature. I think you'll like it :)

Anyway, if you haven't already done so, check out David Hockney's book Secret Knowledge--you might find it interesting.

there: that's one post

cheers from SoCal

• Administrators
Congratulations  ;D

Hockney is one of the world's greatest living artists, probably THE greatest ever to use a DSLR for video.

Most people have very mainstream taste. What I see out there from famous DSLR shooters who are so adored, is in my view extremely cliched and no better than you get on TV. Consumer eye candy for the masses. Nothing new at all. If that is what people aspire to - remaking Lost - then so be it. But it isn't very creative.

This is.

It just goes to show that not only is good taste rare, but so is an artistic mindset.

Thanks for posting.

This interests me far more than the bland, hackneyed hollywood stuff coming out to showcase the latest cameras.
Good to see some nice Bridlington landscapes too...
cheers for the blog, when you're in the market for camera gear, its good to have a resource that doesn't propogate the hype...

• Administrators
[quote author=pat1 link=topic=486.msg5286#msg5286 date=1336920505]
This interests me far more than the bland, hackneyed hollywood stuff coming out to showcase the latest cameras.
Good to see some nice Bridlington landscapes too...
cheers for the blog, when you're in the market for camera gear, its good to have a resource that doesn't propogate the hype...
[/quote]

Glad to see we are on the same page. Note to self - I'd happily take 10 of these kind of enlightened readers than 10,000 of the other bozos.