The Ballad of Crazy Pete (GH13/Super 8mm Short Film)

Matt Kieley

I'm new here, but since I don't really have anything new to share, I thought I'd share an older short I'm most proud of.

"The Ballad of Crazy Pete" is a portrait of a mentally ill young man.

It was originally meant to be a Super 8 short, which is why the film is all narration. It was my first time shooting Super 8, and unfortunately, one roll of film wasn't exposed (damn you Ektachrome 100D!), but I did shoot digital takes with the GH13 for back-up. I had already made a rough cut of the digital takes while I waited for the film to come back. I decided to keep the final film all-digital, instead of mixing formats, or trying to mix formats, and I kind of prefer the digital version.

I still did my own shitty telecine involving the GH13, my Super 8 projector, a cardboard box and a white frost diffusion gel, and speed correction (my projector is only 18fps, footage was shot at 24). I tried going direct to sensor, but the GH13's crop sensor was too small. I may try it again with my roommate's 5D.

And here's some digital outtakes with sound, for fun:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs