Mattebox for rewo cage

wilco73

Hi,

I have a nice REWO cage for my GH2 wich i like very much. No i am looking at a mattebox (Trust MT, Cinematics swing away) There was a nice deal on personal view but Vitaliy tells me that the matteboxes probaly does not fit on the REWO cage. The REWO rig seems to be to high for the standard matteboxes  >:( Looking at it i might be so.... That is f$%cked up if it is true!  :( I thought the REWO cage was build on international standards.... Have send them this question as well, wil post it if i have the answer.

Does anybody have some experiences? I will want to order the mattebox on the internet so i can not try before i buy. (with the special deal there is no return) So i need to be sure. Any experiences/advise? Does anybody have a REWO cage and mattebox? Wich one is best? (not to expensive)  ;)

Thank you in advanced!  :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I googled for your mattebox, and it seems to be designed for a rail system, rod support. With just about every such system, you will need to adjust the height exactly. If this item is not included in your rail-rig, you can buy it everywhere, it's no complicated design, so no need for Zacuto or Redrock. It's called a "height riser" or simply "riser".

EDIT: Vitaly himself mentiones a riser with "the new version". Perhaps this particular riser doesn't rise high enough.

I saw various GH2 setups that buried the camera under a lot of impressive-looking equipment. Obviously you are determined to take this path. The mattebox you want to buy belongs to this category. What makes me wary about the Trust (pardon the pun) primarily is the low price.

And then this thing has a "bottom flag". You [i]may[/i] use the top flag quite often, to prevent sunrays from producing reflexes (you'd [i]need[/i] it - in case you have no free hand to extend your usual sunhood). As for the side flags, you could encounter a spaceship flying low or a nasty ball-lightning, all right. If some glaring light emerges from the ground, it's time for [i]The Core[/i].

And then Vitaly says: "Filterholders are for 4x4 filters and the one nearest the lens is stationary while the other one is rotatable. These are in plastic and just as poor as the ones you get with a [b]PROAIM[/b] mattebox. Something better would definitely be holders that comes with shoot35 mattebox. It doesn't rotate to well and is not the smoothest to take in or out."

It is ballast. After one or two days of carrying the junk around you'll be annoyed (but richer in experience).

Generally it makes no sense to buy a cheap copy. Most of the indian and chinese stuff looks good at first sight but is not fun to use. Because it is not well-thought-out. I learned this the hard way with matteboxes (Proaim too, later beautiful, but rarely needed Genus and rig-"parts"). So you own a sexy little camera with a sophisticated cage. Don't attach any useless junk to it. The GH2 is small and smart. Don't make it Megatron.

Invest the money you saved for the bogus mattebox for a sexy rig. A rail-based shouldermount actually is easy to install with the REWO, which has it's own riser built in. That is, it rises the EVF from the level of the rails to that of your eye (approximately, you will have to finetune it). Skip the garage-leftovers-occasions and buy s.th. worthy of the Lumix, whose motto could be put "reduce to the maximum".
[img]http://www.ikonoskop.com/begood/image_db.php?id=227&w=700&ne=1[/img]
Here (from a parallel thread) a [url=http://www.vocas.com/kits/dslr-rig-pro-kit-for-low-model-cameras][u]Vocas[/u][/url] rig. Isn't this form follows function in perfection? Yes, it tis!

Unfortunately, it is [i]very[/i] expensive. Or you take the Letus Talon K1, which Andrew recommends in his book.