VFX all rounder camera

Yossarian

Hi! I work in VFX as a matte painter and compositor mostly for features and I’m looking for a camera for both set/asset photography and video for green screen elements as well as shots for personal work. I originally settled on a 5D3 with ML but I had it for exactly two weeks before dropping it and pushing in the hot shoe and writing off the camera. Even though it barely looks damaged it’s totally non functional now and the repair quote is well over $800 (not that far off getting another second hand) I’m totally heartbroken over it - I’m not sure if I should get it fixed or just go for another option. That said, I was actually pretty happy with the camera overall and loved the files, though now I question if I really need a DSLR and the overall durability of the 5D against drops - my previous Fuji cameras were basically indestructible by comparison and I’m a bit of a klutz  

So anyway, what I’m looking for needs very solid stills capability, but also decent enough video. Probably the obvious option is the A7 series but I’ve used them a fair bit for work and I have to say I absolutely hate them, it’s very personal (I know some people use them to amazing effect) but I can’t stand their menus, “feel” and I find their files require more work for integration. I’m definitely open to other mirrorless options though, like the Nikon Z6, especially if they come out with RAW video in the future, but I’d ideally like to stay in the full frame world since I like the idea of getting multiple focal length options for my lenses (mostly Nikon ais and C/Y Zeiss, just one canon EF) and the idea of having a vista vision sized sensor is pretty great. I mostly work with footage from Alexa cameras, so Canon is still an appealing option since there seems to be a colour handling pipeline for integration around already, but as far as I’ve been able to tell the latest R and RP cameras are pretty disappointing for video.  

Anyway thanks for reading so far and any opinions appreciated. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs