Hacked GH2 users in NYC

iconoclast6

After saving and saving, I Just got thru picking up the GH2 and a Voightlander 25mm/F0.95. Now I find out about the
hack that blows te tick camera performance away. However, I am scared to death of screwing up the hack and frying my camera without a warranty.

Is there anyone in the NYC area willing to show me what this hack looks like in-camera and could help me thru the firmware upgrade?

Will appreciate any help...o

Best,

Chuck

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The hack is not gonna fry your camera. Nevertheless, if sth. not related to the hack happens, you may have lost the warranty. Does anybody know for sure?

There are experts who tell me that the improvement of picture quality caused by the various hacks must be autosuggestion. I, however, trust my eyes, and I see much better detail, especially in night shots or shadows. Imho there is not much gained by Intra over a 44mbit 3-GOP-Hack though. This is not a popular position. Fortunately we are not on [i]personal view[/i], so I keep it anyway.

Not in NYC, but I can tell you the hack is the easiest thing to do.  Main thing to remember is to have a fully charged battery.  If the camera shuts down for any reason, you brick it.  I usually start it up, let it sit for 5 min, get some coffee, and then it's done.  And you can return it back to normal by re-installing the original firmware.  I use some old 1GB SD cards lying around and label them "AQ2" or "Original", and then I just use the one I want.

As for quality, there is a HUGE difference between the 44Mbit and the higher 100Mbit AQ2 or the 176Mbit hacks.  If you are concerned about recording times, then 44Mbit is good.  But if you want great quality then 100Mbit is the best compromise, and it spans.  You get 42min on a 32GB card, or 1 hour 20 min on a 64GB card class 10 card.  Since it's easy to install the hack, I suggest you try the different versions to see which works for you.

Good luck and don't worry it's an easy install.

Thanks for he reply. Is there a best practices guide/link for the best and most up to date steps or the hack? Is it Sedona or Driftwood? Also, is the hack effected from software on an SD card or does I permanently affect the camera's firmware?

Sorry o be all over the place...but it seems there are divergent paths to the hack...and in some cases to different ends.

Best,

Chuck