Sankor 16C info, what else do I need?

Kays Alatrakchi

Hello guys,

I just picked up a Sankor Anamorphic 16C after reading Andrew's book. I'm planning on using it on my 5DmkIII along with Magic Lantern raw shooting at 1920x1280 (3:2 aspect ratio).

I have a few questions about what would be the best prime lens to pair up with it, and what else do you guys recommend I look into purchasing to get the best possible image.

Right now the longest lens I have is an 85mm Canon USM, if I get a diopter will that help minimize vignetting and increase the minimum distance? If so specifically which diopter do you guys recommend?

This is all rather new for me and despite reading Andrew's book pretty religiously, I still have a lot of questions about the whole process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

BTW, I'm looking to pair a good prime with this lens. I was looking into the Canon FD 135mm 2.0 lenses on eBay....are these good lenses? Can anyone recommend any vintage manual lenses which would be worth to look into (and which are decent quality)? 

Once again, I'll be shooting on a Canon 5DmkIII.

Many thanks!

Don't worry about lenses much brighter than f/2.8, since it will be unusable with anamorphics. My longest lens is a Tair 11 (135mm f/2.8), which works great with Iscos and used to shine with the Kowa.

I had a Sankor 16D, and it was a good pair with any 85mm, on the 5D3. How much vignette are you getting?

Also, regarding diopters, you should take a look here: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2570-the-diopter-thread/

Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for the Sankor to arrive, I'm hoping that it will pair up nicely with my 85mm and that will be that.

As far as the Canon 135mm F2, I realize that I won't be able to use it wide open, but I figured that it's still a good lens to have for when I'm not shooting anamorphic.