External drive workflow for a mix of HD and 4k editing on 2017 MacBook

Pauldavidboyer

I'm thinking about getting a GH4, then editing in FCPX on a 2017 MacBook Pro 15" probably using proxy files, most often combining 4K and HD footage into a 1080p timeline. I typically shoot interviews from two angles with a total of 1 hr of footage including b-roll. If I get a GH4, I'll be using a Canon 5D Mkiii as my other camera, so like I said, it will be a mix of HD and 4K footage. Does the following workflow pass muster for a guy who shoots 4-8 videos a year (1-3 min each)? As you can see, I'm also trying to price out this whole experiment and stay under $1,000 for external drives. 

1.     Long-term back up ($150) – When I get back to to the office, back up all footage to long term storage drive – needs to be big, inexpensive like the Western Digital 8TB. This drive is also where I'll store a copy of all finished projects. Archiving files into even longer term storage on Dropbox could be part of the protocol, but this may not be a sustainable solution for unedited media. https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN/dp/B01B6BN0Q2/ref=as_at/?creativeASIN=B01B6BN0Q2&imprToken=XRYujSxexvmpKQcmz2AO7Q&slotNum=37&ie=UTF8&qid=1461274348&sr=8-1&keywords=8tb+hard+drive+usb+3&linkCode=sl1&tag=documecamera-20&linkId=7c527707c22401ff14728fa5a2911b4e

2.     Import footage to fast editing drive ($350) – Next, import SD cards to super-fast SSD main editing drive. I would edit directly on this drive. https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/portable-solid-state-drives/portable-ssd-t5-1tb-mu-pa1t0b-am/?cid=pla-ecom-mul-27,000,002 

It will be set up to auto back up to…

3.     Redundant drive ($330) – Back up the project as it progresses, using timed back ups to this drive. It has redundant mirrored discs, so that if one drive goes down, the project doesn’t go with it. https://www.adorama.com/wdmpp2tbbk.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs67ZnKak2gIVR2F-Ch2HegIAEAQYBSABEgKyyvD_BwE

Any thoughts about the best way to set up a timed back up at the end of each work day to this final drive?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs