GH5 files and Mac OS Finder

Tim Berglund

Some of the files I shoot on my GH5 can be previewed in Mac OSX Finder, and some cannot. Specifically, if I shoot 2160p24 (4:2:2, 10-bit, Long GOP), Finder is not pleased, and if I shoot 2180p60 (4:2:0, 8-bit, Long GOP), Finder is pleased. Looking at the metadata of the Quicktime files, I they both claim to be H.264, but Finder treats them differently. I can preview the 24p files in VLC, but it's a bit of a workflow bummer. I like to tag files in Finder, but can't for 24fps footage.

I'm not looking for a fix here, but does anyone have any insight into why this is so? These are all H.264 Long GOP files, right? :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You didn't mention if you edit with FCP, which uses AVFoundation. Since Yosemite, allegedly, the whole OS (and OiS) uses it as framework. And indeed, Finder / Preview / QT player now play back a greater variety of video files (they used to reject naked, unwrapped mts-clips, for instance), but specifically not some of the 10-bit GH5 files (and others). FCP accepts them nonetheless. The very same version of the third-party-app Kyno used to repeat the Finder warning unsupported file type, unable to play back (or so), but now miraculously (just after a restart of the app) shows them, you could say reluctantly. HLG clips are still not supported in Kyno 1.4. Don't know about EditReady. 

As far as transcoding with third-party apps to ProRes is concerned, I became aware of possible downsides since the once popular 5D2RGB transcoder, which for none-Canon cameras often didn't interpret the range correctly which resulted in degraded clips. Many players (=decoders) - like i.e. VLC - accept the underlying H.264 but ignore proprietary metadata for, say, XAVC with it's own color science of x.v. (or whatever is implemented). Many wondered why Premiere first played back GH5 10-bit clips, then the following update didn't anymore, and then the next update officially supported it. Official support means (or is supposed to mean) that the data are interpreted correctly. 

It may very well be that if you don't optimize using FCP but instead EditReady, you end up with a cropped set of data:

Furthermore, 10.4 on High Sierra also supports (or so it seems) 5k HEVC from the GH5. Of course, unless you have a 10-core iMac Pro, you'd be wise to optimize:

"I like to tag files in Finder, but can't for 24fps footage."

I too love Finder tags. Those and MacOS smart collections (more powerful "folders") make my life really easier. But I think FCP is the best app to preview video. It has a skimmer, it has tags, just everything is better than Preview. How does that help me to find my clips in Finder later on? This is where FindrCat comes in. I think it's some 25 bucks or so, can't remember. It's a riddle and a shame though that FCP tags don't become Finder tags automatically!

Axel, that is ridiculously helpful, thank you. :)

I edit with Premiere, which happily* gobbles up the 10-bit files these days, so I can manage to edit them in the end. It's just hard to sort through footage before I import.

I was thinking of using Adobe Media Encoder to transcode everything to ProRes LT (which is around the same bitrate as the in-camera codec—perhaps a little bit higher), but now that I understand that the problem is bit depth and not anything else about the codec, that transcoding step might not be my friend. If I have to transcode from 10 bits to 8 bits, I am giving up bit depth, even if I keep overall bitrate constant. The question is whether I will really feel that difference when grading difficult shots or in final picture quality, since realistically my delivery will always be Vimeo or YouTube anyway.

I suppose the final answer, barring changes to my workflow, is to wait till Finder supports 10-bit files! (For posterity, here is a link to an Apple support forum confirming the 10-bit limitation.)

*As happily as it does anything! It likes to crash, and I am editing on an underpowered machine for this footage for sure. Ultimately proxies FTW, but that's later in the workflow.