AFC with GH5 holding down AF/EF Lock Button Not Working?

benlen

Hey folks,

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a search but couldn't find an answer to my question. Here goes: 

1. With the GH4, I was able to set the AF/AE Lock button to autofocus, and turn the half shutter focus on the shutter button off. This was awesome because in MF mode, I could quickly use the autofocus to target my subject, and then know the camera wouldn't make additional changes. 

2. Also with the GH4, when I switched the focus selector knob into AFC, and put the focus mode in Single area, and held down the AF/AE lock button, I could track subjects as long as I kept that single area box over my subject. Example: following a downhill skier as they go through a course, or a fast moving car, and so on. This was also helpful in terms of if I was lazy and wanted to rack focus between two still objects (one close up, one far away.) It wasn't perfect, but in a pinch it works decently.

I have managed to set #1 on the GH5 (that is, having this AF/AE Lock button in MF work to auto focus, and then do nothing) but I cannot for the life of me get AFC functionality, the tracking, or changing of focus as I move the camera and hold the button down. 

This is really frustrating me, as I consider this an essential component of my workflow. Can you folks help? 

Thanks so much!

NOTE: Hold down the AF/AE Lock button in photo modes (manual, aperture) works as it should. Focus shifts as I hold the AF/AE lock button in AFC mode and move the single area from one subject to the next well in photo burst mode.

It doesn't work in creative video mode. When I hold own the AF/AE lock button in video mode, the text on the touch screen goes from "AFC" to "AFS." Frustrating!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs