Advice for 4:3 Aspect with ML on 5d Mark iii

zacharyaustin

There was a previous thread about this a few years ago, but wasn't sure if anyone was still responding to it; so I am starting a new one to ask for advice about shooting Anamorphic on the Canon 5d Mark iii with Magic Lantern Firmware. 

Here's the question, I am shooting on a focus-through Anamorphic Adapter Lens (1.33x), and as far as I can understand it, the only way to get the images framed on set to look exactly like the eventually de-squeezed footage and the eventual images (de-squeezed) to be in 16:9 aspect ratio; that I would need to shoot in 4:3 Aspect on the 5d Mark iii.  Correct?

These are the specifications I thought worked when I ran them through a bot to suggest the correct settings on this camera (any insight?):
5d Mark iii max. 100 mb/s  5760 X 3840 1.00X Crop
Selected Mode:   3X3 sampling,   4:3 aspect ratio,  1.13x crop, 1696 X 1272 24fps,  86.4mb/s,   5.9min per 32GB card

Other related question.  Will shooting in 4:3 give me eventually de-sqeezed video in 16:9 aspect ratio considering this is a 1.33x Anamorphic squeeze?
(to prevent you from wasting your time asking this question, yes.....I want the images to eventually be in 16:9 aspect.   That's kindof the whole point of doing this.)

One final question, does anyone know what the limitations are to the anamorphic live preview in Magic Lantern?  Such as, can I playback files watching them with that anamorphic de-squeeze that the preview does?  And does recording this way allow me to still be able to record audio?  

Thank you, I'm sorry if this is a dumb thread, but I've never filmed this way before and I'm wondering whether I did the Mathematics right, hahaa

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs