SD Card Speed - GH3

/p/

I was given a 64GB 30MB/s SD card as part of a gift, will it be fast enough for video recording on a GH3? I shoot in the 24, 30 and 60fps 50Mbps modes. I haven't tried it because you can't return it once opened. I'm able to return it but will only if I confirm that it's not fast enough, my other cards are 95MB/s and 45MB/s and they work fine.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

50 Mbps is 6.25MB/s (approximately a 12:1 frame compression)

Your 30MB/s card (aka 200x) would limit you to 240 Mbps (3:1 frame compression)

Opps! I just found out that SanDisk Ultra 64GB 30MB/s card you have (which I have too) only reads ar 30MB/s and writes at 10MB/s, still you can get up to 80Mbps (7.5:1 compression) with that so it's still completely useable on a GH3 or 5D3 (unhacked).

597 Mbps (75MB/s aka 500x) is an uncompressed(1:1) 1080p 4:2:0 image at 24fps but I've heard h.264 has a limit of 300 Mbps(2:1 compression) so even with a bit rate hack there's little use for anything over a 37.5MB/s (250x) card for video, photo bursts on the other hand are a different story.