Using my Anamorphic to "project"?

andrewkeam

Hi, I really do apologise if this is a silly question but I was just wondering if i was going to take a anamorphic still photo, would I be able to optically print it by placing the same anamorphic onto the front of the enlarging lens?  

I have a Kowa B/H, a Isco Ulta and a Sankor 2x..

My basic understanding (but potentially basic misunderstanding) before digital days, you would take an anamorphic scene with the anamorphic in a vertical stretched alignment (like a snakes eye/cats eye) and then project it at 90 degrees to obtain a proper proportioned "widescreen" image...

Video below shows how it is projected...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ZBd9OhblkSo

am I potentially right in my understanding?  Am thinking of doing some anamorphic stills but want to roughly know what I am talking about before approaching my local lab..

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very kindly taken on board

^_^ 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds like a fun experiment, I have no idea how the image quality will turn out.

I think in theory it should work. But you would have to find out what focal length the enlarger lens has, what the focus distance is and if your anamorphic can be used on top of it without generating vignetting. You'd probably need diopters as well.

What are you shooting with? why film? It's much easier on digital for sure ;) And as long as you aren't shooting medium format or bigger I don't see any reason for using film.

Yep, lots of unknowns, I think you are spot on there..  Was thinking 6x7cm or even a bit bigger?  Why film, am not sure really, just would like to see the results I guess..  Also, I have a bunch of film cameras as I still shoot film for both commercial and personal work.

Thanks for the comments, is greatly appreciated.

:)