Help with using the Tokina 0.4 diopter?

Stefan Barkla

Hi, A while back I posted about trying to get in touch with Redstan to order some clamps and the Tokina 0.4 diopter.  I have had them for a while now and the clamps are awesome but it is the first time I have really had a play around with the Tokina and I seriously need some help in getting it to work!   :( 

In my previous post, RICHG 101 posted

"  a tokina +.4 will bring you from 5ft to the 3.5ft mark and will sharpen a little at wider apertures. maximum focus distance is then about 12ft

the angie +.25 will bring you from 5ft to about 4ft i recon maximum focus is probably about 18ft

i imagine the angenieux and the tokina stacked would be a good investment. buy both then use the tokina for normal face shots, and both when you need the slight extra close up. i recon both together will get you around 2ft? 

Ps. the tokina is amazing for adding a bit more background defocus when shooting close ups with smaller apertures. your dof is smaller

I have been considering a purchase of an Angenieux +.25 from redstan for the purpose I mention above. cant quite get as close as i'd like with just the tokina +.4 "

So with regards to the minimum focus distance, I am finding this to be basically the case, I can get to about 2.5 ft or so.  To be honest, that is about as far as I can get, I am miles off from obtaining focus at 12ft and to be honest, I cannot even really get sharp focus at 5ft (which is the minimum focus of the Anamorphic).

I am using a Kowa Bell/Howell on a Canon 5DII and have tried it with an Mamiya 645 80mm lens and a Pentax 67 135mm lens.  Both lenses come from a bigger film format and are used with an adaptor.  

I have been setting the Kowa's focus distance to 5 ft but have also tried going through the various distances in case I was doing something wrong.  

People talk about losing infinity focus with a diopter attached but I cannot get even close to that...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Best Regards

Stefan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

my advice would be to set up your lens and anamorphic to focus to infinity (without the tokina attached), then put the tokina on.  now dont touch the focus but move back and fourth until you see your maximum focus distance with the tokina.  I think I get about 10-12ft maximum focus distance with the tokina on the iscorama.  

Thanks so much for the reply, much appreciated!  So do I leave both the taking lens and the Anamorphic on infinity just for the "maximum"?  For the minimum focus distance, am I using the minimum focus distance on the Anamorphic?  

What about the inbetween distances?  

My camera is generally on a tripod, is it really a matter of moving the camera back and forth to achieve focus?  

The Kowa B/H focuses to 5ft so maybe i will look at selling it...  I find the dual focus hard enough..

Thanks again for the response!   Anyone else out there with some suggestions for my Kowa?

Is it an absolute must to use anamorphic lenses on every scene? If you get good focus from 5 feet (1,5 meter) to infinity.

Why not mix lenses. Use a normal lens and crop it in post for closeups. The audience will not notice that.

The Kowa B/H is a beautifull lens, but use it where it shines. And practise judging distance or use a measuring tejp.

/D

Hi, Thanks for your answers.

RICHG101, I tried your technique and it did somewhat work.  I think I got about 9-10 ft on the Kowa, can't be positive but am pretty sure its thereabouts..

So am I right in assuming that when using the diopter, that you disregard the focus scale?  If I can get 9-10 ft focus (on infinity on the Kowa's distance scale ) then does the same apply for all other distances between its maximum and its minimum?  For its minimum focus distance, I still set the Kowa to 5ft right?  

And then everything else between its maximum focus ( 9-10 ft ) and its minimum ( about 3.5 ft ) lies somewhere on the Kowa's distance scale?  

Apologies if that is a dumb question, just trying to get my head around it..

Thanks again.