Upgrading - BMCC 2.5K, or C100?

martinmcgreal

Looking to upgrade from the pocket camera, for both a change in image, and 2x anamorphic shooting purposes .. I appreciate the C100 and 2.5K are completely different tools, with different uses, so I’ll narrow down my needs ..

I want to start shooting 2x anamorphic w/ a 2.66 delivery, hence the 2.5K’s extra resolution will come in very handy when cropping yet still maintaining good detail  .. However, on the other hand, I’ve also found myself become more and more fond of that soft, clean rich look so renowned to both Canon cameras, and more higher up the spectrum, the RED/Alexa’s too .. You know, that organically soft, smooth, full of depth, yet still clinical and detailed image  .. Whereas I feel BM leans more towards an image that - when paired with decent glass - is almost too clinical, sharp and thin feeling, and as a result, no longer feels truly cinematic ..

I want to shoot 2x anamorphic w/ a 2.66 delivery, which is where the 2.5K wins, however I also want that soft smooth clean digital look, which is where the C100 wins .. Of course, one could argue the 2.5K’s image would be softened up through shooting anamorphic, and that the image can be further softened through filters, glass and post work, and you’d be correct, but nothing beats producing it naturally out of the sensor like the C100 can .. 

So, I’m in a dilemma .. The 2.5K’s extra resolution and shooting codecs is really hard to pass by on, and I mean really, really hard, especially given the C100 isn’t even close to competing in this area .. However I really have become more and more fond of that soft clean rich look associated with Canon cameras, which is probably just a result of colouring dull, grainy images straight out of the bmpcc for over a year, an image which looks fantastic btw, but more for the 35mm lovers in my opinion, whereas I’m more a lover of the clean, silky digital look .. When I say grainy btw, I mean that subtle fine grain so renowned with the pocket - not a criticism .. 

Anyway, thoughts? It will be mainly for narrative work, whatever I opt with .. and I'm looking in the used market too .. 

I’m learning far more towards the 2.5k as of now, given the resolution, codec and the fact the image can be softened one way or another, but man, nothing beats producing it naturally out of the sensor .. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs