BMD Ursa Mini 4.6K vs Kinefinity Terra 5K?

FoxedFilms

Hi guys,

so I was looking for a new camera to shoot some documentary style / independent film stuff and I was about to settle with the BlackmagicDesign Ursa Mini 4.6K (which I had my hands on at #Photokina2016) until I stumbled upon Kinefinity and their recently announced Terra 5K. Unfortunately I need the camera in the next few months so I have to make my decision pretty soon since the Ursa Mini is out of stock almost everywhere and the Terra 5K probably will be once its shipping.

https://vimeo.com/180674180 (Kinefinity Terra at BIRTV 2 months ago)

I really like what I have seen from the Ursa Mini, especially for the price. The sensor does deliver! I really fell in love with the menu, its so simple and beautiful (really makes you wonder how shitty almost all menus from other manufacturers are). It's also nice that it comes with DaVinci Resolve Studio, has dual XLR-inputs with 48V, shoots RAW (compressed and uncompressed) and ProRes at various compressions.

But the specs of the Terra 5K look also very promising (attached). Having both rolling shutter (with 15 stops of DR) and global shutter (13 stops) is awesome (although the rolling shutter of the Ursa doesn't look bad at all). It's nice that you can shoot RAW (lossless compression with KineRAW which needs to be transcoded in post, atleast from what I understand) and ProRes (even with oversampling so you don't have to crop like with the Ursa). Also you can get it with a Speedbooster (Canon or Nikon) and make it almost Full Frame (1.1x crop) if you want to. It records to regular 2.5" SSD's which are far cheaper than the CFast 2.0 cards the Ursa uses. Its very lightweight and small aswell, 920g for the body only... easier to use with a Gimbal like the Ronin MX.

I do like the look of their KineMax 6K sensor, which they are also using in the new Terra 6K. Its very filmic and grainy (in a good way).

The problem is there is no footage of the 5K sensor, so it's quite a gamble to buy it now. Although most people are very happy with the Kinefinity cameras. It is supposed to have a dual gain sensor (like the Ursa Mini does), thats why it has more DR than the 6K sensor and from what Kinefinity is telling us less distortion while using the rolling shutter.

The Ursa Mini 4.6K would cost me ~5000€ for the body + V-Lock plate 100€ + 2x V-Lock battery (98V) and charger 700€ + 2x 258GB CFast 2.0 cards for ~700€ which makes around 6500€.

The basic-package of the Terra 5K would cost me 6499€ + VAT (~7740€) which comes with 500GB SSD, KineGrip (+30W battery set which lasts for 60+min), 5" Kine-monitor ... ading a 500-600€ KineEnhancer (Speedbooster) = 8340€

"TERRA 5K will be shipped at December." thats what they have told me. Since "estimated" is missing I am hopeful. 

Making an investment of 7000+€ is not that easy............. but I am leaning towards to Kinefinity 5K.

What do you guys think about that? Have you any experience with Kinefinity cameras or with the Ursa Mini 4.6K?

Thanks in advance for any advise & co :)

Terra5K_specs_zps8zu1rnod.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs